Pullets Started Laying and Then Stopped

3rdgal12

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2023
Sorry for the long post but im trying to include all pertinent info...
I have 12 Easter Eggers pullets, 11 welsummer pullets, and one welsummer cockerel in a coop together along with a 9 month old Cinnamon Queen. All of them were hatched on 4-2-23 and shipped together arriving at my local Co-op on 4-4 which is when I bought them and took them home (I worked for the Co-op at the time so I know the timelines are accurate). They were vaccinated against mareks and are parasite free (my FIL is a retired parasitologist living on our farm with us so that had been handy!). the Cinnamon Queen has been laying well. The others started laying off and on around early September. Then like a switch they all stopped except the Cinnamon Queen. We went a week straight with no pullet eggs. We couldn't find any signs of snake disturbances. They do not free range as we have too many predators on our farm but they do have access to a large run. I had 23 2 year old Red Stars laying fine in a different coop so we swapped them overnight one night. The red stars are still laying fine and I'm still not getting any eggs from the pullets expect for the Cinnamon Queen. I have a third coop with 3 year old sapphire gems and the rest of my Cinnamon queens. All 3 coops eat the same layer Feed, 16% laying pellets by Tucker milling. Each coop gets a handful of mealworms once a week, the occasional veggie scraps, and some red wrigglers, night crawlers, or super worms about once every month or 2. I've never had pullets just stop like this but I've also never had these breeds before. We have considered putting a light in to guarantee 10 hours but I've never had an issue with young chickens slowing down during their first winter before. I am willing to try it but I was wanting feedback on whether this is normal before I rig up a light system in the coops. Any suggestions?

Here are my views.
Your Cinnamon Queen, and Redstars, are sex-link hens that are production egg machines. They don't live long lives like Heritage breeds, as well a EE.s.
I think the really quick shortening of daylight may have triggered the stop laying in your chickens. Yes,, I know its their first year,,, but these are living chickens,,, not mechanical robots.
If you decide to experiment with added light,,, Do the addition of light in the morning. Lets say it gets dusk/dark at 5 PM. Give them 12 hours of light. That means start your light at 5 AM, (inside coop) and have it turn off when daylight arrives, and they roam outdoors into run. You will not see instant results,,, because it may take lets say 2 weeks for the hens to adjust their schedule.
Your feed is 16% protein. That is minimal requirements. If you could increase it to about !8% Protein,, that may help, since during cold, chickens need more nutrition to keep their bodies warm.
It would be also good to include your general location in your profile. Makes giving advice easier, knowing your climate. Just a general location, like City, or State, or Country,, if a small one.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Here are my views.
Your Cinnamon Queen, and Redstars, are sex-link hens that are production egg machines. They don't live long lives like Heritage breeds, as well a EE.s.
I think the really quick shortening of daylight may have triggered the stop laying in your chickens. Yes,, I know its their first year,,, but these are living chickens,,, not mechanical robots.
If you decide to experiment with added light,,, Do the addition of light in the morning. Lets say it gets dusk/dark at 5 PM. Give them 12 hours of light. That means start your light at 5 AM, (inside coop) and have it turn off when daylight arrives, and they roam outdoors into run. You will not see instant results,,, because it may take lets say 2 weeks for the hens to adjust their schedule.
Your feed is 16% protein. That is minimal requirements. If you could increase it to about !8% Protein,, that may help, since during cold, chickens need more nutrition to keep their bodies warm.
It would be also good to include your general location in your profile. Makes giving advice easier, knowing your climate. Just a general location, like City, or State, or Country,, if a small one.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
I'm in central Alabama. We are still running low 80F degree Temps. I'll try the light in the coop. I'd always heard 10 not 12 so I will up it to 12 and see how it goes. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom