Puppy first or chicks?

yayaluvschicks

Chirping
Apr 19, 2021
Do I get my chickens first then bring in the puppy (and train it to not mess with the chickens) or do I get the puppy first and then introduce the chicks?

I would get the chickens first, and wait until you have the coop and everything the chicks will need done. Then you will have more time to spend training a new puppy everyday.

Be sure to start him/her off on a leash at all times when around the chickens. I recommend teaching "leave it" as one of the first commands. Just be sure to never use it with toys, food, or anything you'd let the dog touch again. Once s/he understands that well, you can then take the dog outside near the chickens (best to do while they're in the run). Of course the puppy will be curious, but do some simple commands such as "sit" to keep his attention on you. If he doesn't listen, walk away and come back, but farther from the chickens. If he barks or lunges at them say "leave it", reward if he stops and looks at you, and again walk away and come back farther from the chickens.

I always see people making the mistake of thinking their puppy won't hurt the chickens and letting them loose, then end up with a dog that thinks it's OK to chase and kill them. Even breeds with a low prey drive could have issues with chickens. Including LGD breeds, which still need training.
The first few weeks that you work with the puppy are very important, so be sure to be consistent. Around 15 minutes of training at a time, daily, is what I would do. The training will be tiring, so keep it short and fun. If the puppy has too much energy, exercise with play time or a walk before you begin training.

Good luck! Sounds like you're about to have your hands full, but dogs and chickens are some of the most rewarding pets 🥰

I would get the chickens first, and wait until you have the coop and everything the chicks will need done. Then you will have more time to spend training a new puppy everyday.

Be sure to start him/her off on a leash at all times when around the chickens. I recommend teaching "leave it" as one of the first commands. Just be sure to never use it with toys, food, or anything you'd let the dog touch again. Once s/he understands that well, you can then take the dog outside near the chickens (best to do while they're in the run). Of course the puppy will be curious, but do some simple commands such as "sit" to keep his attention on you. If he doesn't listen, walk away and come back, but farther from the chickens. If he barks or lunges at them say "leave it", reward if he stops and looks at you, and again walk away and come back farther from the chickens.

I always see people making the mistake of thinking their puppy won't hurt the chickens and letting them loose, then end up with a dog that thinks it's OK to chase and kill them. Even breeds with a low prey drive could have issues with chickens. Including LGD breeds, which still need training.
The first few weeks that you work with the puppy are very important, so be sure to be consistent. Around 15 minutes of training at a time, daily, is what I would do. The training will be tiring, so keep it short and fun. If the puppy has too much energy, exercise with play time or a walk before you begin training.

Good luck! Sounds like you're about to have your hands full, but dogs and chickens are some of the most rewarding pets 🥰
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom