Pus coming out of my cat?

My little fighter of 13 years always heals up fine from fights without need for a vet. Also one point I didn't mention is do not be afraid of using H2O2 on the wound to debride it or remove a crusted over puss layer. Do not flush wounds with it, but yes if it does get to the abscess stage unless you are willing to do the digging in there to break through all of those abscess bacterial cell walls you will need antibiotics or a vet at that stage. The feed store probably has Flagyl/metrodiazonole for horses(green puss is why I am thinking anaerobic) you just need to research the correct dose per kilo and kitty will hate the taste.

Just a reminder do not flush wounds with hydrogen peroxide.

LOL okay I know some say peroxide is not good for cuts but that's what I usually do initially to clean it out and get rid of bacteria but then I also flush it with water and it seems to work for my dogs and cats. For over 200 years hydrogen peroxide has been widely used and is still used throughout medicine, surgery and dentistry. Some say that it prevents skin healing but that is up for debate. Overall, there is ample general literature to show that hydrogen peroxide does not impair wound healing, and that it may be beneficial for chronically infected wounds. In tissue that is already damaged by infection, the relative antiseptic benefit of hydrogen peroxide outweighs any secondary harm it may produce. Sorry don't mean to get technical but I had to research it's use a few years ago because someone told me not to use it after I've been using it for years. It seems to work well but if you don't feel comfortable please don't use it.

My point is in working with trauma and wound debridement it is fine for topical use, but never for internal use or pushing it into a deep wound channel via a flush. Regardless we are talking about a minor cat wound here. I'm sure kitty will be fine.

Hydrogen peroxide kills healthy cells, it should not be used to clean an abscess. Flagyl is not an appropriate treatment for a cat bite abscess. The cat needs the wound flushed with a sterile solution and treatment with the correct antibiotic. Peoples incidental stories in which animals survived do not make for appropriate treatment plans. I am a feline veterinarian cringing as I read these posts.

Hydrogen peroxide kills healthy cells, it should not be used to clean an abscess. Flagyl is not an appropriate treatment for a cat bite abscess. The cat needs the wound flushed with a sterile solution and treatment with the correct antibiotic. Peoples incidental stories in which animals survived do not make for appropriate treatment plans. I am a feline veterinarian cringing as I read these posts.
There ya go your experience out trumps mine. Green purulent discharge is what I would focus on. Additionally, OP isn't reporting an actual abscess it is just something I mentioned to monitor for. Reread OP.

It's an abscess. Just drain and clean it. If you have a syringe use it to inject some peroxide in it and flush it out. It should heal up just fine. Make sure it heals from the inside out. If it seals over it will just abscess again.

You mean Dr. Pol and I have been doing it all wrong for years?

Do you have a syringe? Not the needle, just the plastic part that you might have kept from a vaccine (or if not, order it from Valley Vet Supply or Amazon)
Fill it with sterile saline solution and force it as far as you can into the wound. Then squeeze as much pus out as you can (he will hate you, but only temporarily) then refill the syringe with an antibiotic gel such as Neosporin and force that into the wound. Do this daily until the wound no longer looks puffy and has scabbed over (probably 4-5 days). If a week goes by with no improvement, that is an emergency and the vet should be willing to see your cat.

Back
Top Bottom