Quail - correcting humidity?

als77

Songster
Jan 31, 2021
Europe
I'm incubating quail eggs for the first time (first time incubating anything that is), and am/was aiming for the recommended 45-55% for wet incubation (until lock-down).

I did a test-run (let's call it that - I had issues getting eggs to I tried with some from the store, but I candled them 10 days in and none of them were fertile) and with one chambre filled my incubator claimed to be 46-52% at 38 degree C (stable 50-52% most of the time, including after topping-up, and stable 46-48% towards the end).

I got my hands on some fertile quail eggs 2 days after my test-run, but unfortunately I seem to have damaged (i.e wet it) the sensor when I emptied the incubator, so now it is off (it gave crazy and unstable readings). I filled one chambre with water and it now shows 57-64% at 37,5 degree C. I don't know how much my background humidity has changed, but the weather is rather stable here and it hasn't rained so I doubt humidity has jumped 10+ percentage-points, but I wouldn't know.

So, finally, my question; I have ordered a hygrometer, but it might take some time for it to arrive. If it turns out that my humidity actually is close to 60%, can I compensate that with going dry(ish) the last week with say 35%? I know that - unlike with temperature - it is the average that matter, but does that apply to this kind of extreme as well?

Noone has any thoughts whether 1 week (or day) of 60% and then 1 week (or day) of 30% is almost just as good as 2 weeks (or days) of 45%?

Back
Top Bottom