Quail - Humidity during incubation - A "final conclusion" to the endless question?

als77

Songster
Jan 31, 2021
Europe
I've been reading a lot on this forum, tapping into the knowledge of you wonderful people, but one thing stands out as rather confusing; humidity during incubation... I'm aiming for 50% until lock-down and then 65% during lock-down - since that seemed to be the most recommended outside BYC, and also in line with this link that I found here (https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf). However, some of you swear by dry-hatching (having horrible experience with the above), and some (fewer?) swear by the above (or even more humid).

This led me to the following thoughts/question;
Is this genetical?
Some eggs are more porous than others, which should mean that they need higher humidity than less porous eggs (and vice-versa).
If (...) the degree of porousness (is that a word?) is genetical, then the ideal humidity for incubation depends on which breeder you got your eggs from; if that breeder has been following the 50%/65%, then his/her less porous-laying hens would probably not have been able to breed (not hatch or be more likely to be stunted, hence not chosen as breeders). Same if the breeder has been following 30%/50% (then the more porous-laying hens would likely not make it for breeding).

If this is the case, then the answer to "what humidity should I use" has a simple answer; Whatever the breeder you bought from recommends/uses :lau

Another thought;
I have the impressions that the consequences (in terms of injuries/malformations) from too high humidity is more severe than too low humidity. If (...) that is the case (please chime in here :wee), then it might be an idea to aim for a lower humidity - maybe not straight away (because of the above - you would probably not do very well aiming for 30%/50% if the breeder you got your eggs from have been using 50%/70%), but over time.

I'm in Hawaii. There isn't much I can do about high humidity. My dry incubator runs around 45%, during lockdown I add water to make sure it is at at least 65%. So in answer to your question, those numbers sound good to me. Others may have different opinions.

I'm in south Alabama I use to drive myself crazy watching the humidity and keeping it steady. I just started setting eggs getting the temp right and my humidity fluctuates with the day I don't add water or anything. Sometimes its 20% sometimes its 40. I just make sure its around 50ish during hatch because you get extra humidity with the wet chicks

Back
Top Bottom