Quail never reaching maturity?

Oct 16, 2020
Hey guys,

Have any you guys experienced quail sometimes not ever reaching sexual maturity?

I have a coop of three quail, of which one is larger and two are smaller and none of them have ever reached adulthood. No foam. No eggs. I cant recall how old they are, but I have some that were born a month or two after them who ARE laying/producing foam.

Maybe they had a shock during development that stunted their development?

I dont know whether to cull them or not.

What type of quail are they? Coturnix? Bobwhite? My Bobwhites took over a year to start laying and breeding. It depends on their diet, nutrition, environment and amount of sunlight.

What type of quail are they? Coturnix? Bobwhite? My Bobwhites took over a year to start laying and breeding. It depends on their diet, nutrition, environment and amount of sunlight.
Mine are coturnix. They are mostly related to each other, but I do notice that some look and act like the “line” they came from.

Maybe some of my birds are just of a variety where they mature slower than others?

They’re getting 12 hours a day right now, but all of my mature birds are laying.
If you up the light to 15 hours a day they should start laying, once laying they will often keep laying with less, but naturally, chicks are meant to hatch and be ready to lay 6-8 weeks later, which is 2-3 months into the breeding season, they’re looking for summer light to start them the first time, not early spring light as the veterans start at.

Back
Top Bottom