Quail pecking apart eggs

Wilde1

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2020
My quail were laying really well and regularly up until a few days ago then I noticed it had stopped and would only get 1 egg for the 10 females. I then noticed under their tray that there was some broken shell and yolk so I figured they were eating the eggs. They get high protien turkey starter feed as well as soybean feed mixed. I also sprinkle additional calcium supplement on their feed so I am assuming they are getting enough nutrients. I witnessed one egg drop from a hen and get stalled on the roll out tray. All of the birds immediately began pecking at it so I grabbed it right away. Because I am not there all the time I imagine this is what was happening. Is there anything that I can do to get them to stop and let eggs roll out? I heard someone say coat eggs with hotsauce or something. Would that work? Any help would be great

Once you get an egg eater, they teach all of the others to be egg eaters. You might try some fake eggs, but you're better off separating out your egg eaters and making sure your other birds don't see them.

Ugh that sucks because 1 was the culprit so I got rid of her but the others joined in so does that mean they all will keep doing it and I got to get rid of them too?

Ugh that sucks because 1 was the culprit so I got rid of her but the others joined in so does that mean they all will keep doing it and I got to get rid of them too?
Unfortunately, yes. If you only had one, you might be able to train her out of it by separating her and giving her some ceramic or stone fake eggs that hurt to peck.

Unfortunately, yes. If you only had one, you might be able to train her out of it by separating her and giving her some ceramic or stone fake eggs that hurt to peck.
Ugh that sucks there go half of my breeder hens lol. Would hollowing out some eggs and filling with mustard or Tabasco work at all you think? I've seen that idea tossed around for chickens that are egg eaters and wondering if it would work for quail. Don't know if anyone has tried it with success or not. I'm just so hesitant in removing all my breeders as the other chicks are too young to lay so I won't have eggs for a while. Mind you, if these ladies keep eating eggs I won't have any regardless lol. Can't win😫

Ugh that sucks there go half of my breeder hens lol. Would hollowing out some eggs and filling with mustard or Tabasco work at all you think? I've seen that idea tossed around for chickens that are egg eaters and wondering if it would work for quail. Don't know if anyone has tried it with success or not. I'm just so hesitant in removing all my breeders as the other chicks are too young to lay so I won't have eggs for a while. Mind you, if these ladies keep eating eggs I won't have any regardless lol. Can't win😫
Most birds don't have capsacin receptors from what I've read, so this wouldn't affect them. The hard fake eggs are more likely to work if you want a deterrent. I used these from Amazon, and had limited success.

They get high protien turkey starter feed as well as soybean feed mixed. I also sprinkle additional calcium supplement on their feed so I am assuming they are getting enough nutrients.
What is soybean feed?
Can you post a picture of the nutritional info on the bag?
What calcium product are you using?

What is soybean feed?
Can you post a picture of the nutritional info on the bag?
What calcium product are you using?
It's soybean meal. I've read and heard of people adding to quail feed for extra protien. I've attached a pic of analysis. The extra calcium I give is also attached

Attachments

• Analyzed-composition-of-corn-wheat-bran-soybean-meal-and-rapeseed-meal-as-fed.png
    Analyzed-composition-of-corn-wheat-bran-soybean-meal-and-rapeseed-meal-as-fed.png
    22 KB · Views: 5
  • 81XnEQpBgfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81XnEQpBgfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom