Quail with a severe limp!

GhostKeeper

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2021
No injuries visible on her leg. She is half a year old and otherwise healthy. There's no swelling, perhaps a little bruising on the back of her ankle? She's eating and drinking and 'begging' for oats like usual. I've put her inside one of my old chick boxes with some fluff to help. Is there anything I can do to wrap her leg? She refuses to put weight, but can push back against my finger. I don't want to stress her out, Wooley is very friendly though and will let me wrap the leg as long as I don't pick her up too much.

Can you post a picture? It sounds like you're doing the right thing by putting her into isolation for a day or two to give her a chance to heal. Make sure she stays warm.

If it's just a bruise or sprain, she should be just fine in a few days. If it's broken, then you may need to splint it. Will she let you touch the leg to make sure nothing is broken?

Can you post a picture? It sounds like you're doing the right thing by putting her into isolation for a day or two to give her a chance to heal. Make sure she stays warm.

If it's just a bruise or sprain, she should be just fine in a few days. If it's broken, then you may need to splint it. Will she let you touch the leg to make sure nothing is broken?
She's sleeping right now, if I go into the room she'll wake up and beg for oats again. Also I'd have to pick her up and I don't want to stress her. I did feel the leg, and nothing felt out of the ordinary compared to her sister Longshot's leg. They're about the same size and weight, so I'd say that's a good comparison.

Then I would let her sleep in peace and see how she is in the morning. If she doesn't start to improve over the next couple of days you'll want to decide what to do then.
Alright. Thank you for the advice. I'm a bit new to the bird-rearing scene and so far it's been a little rough.

Update: Wooley went to the vet. It turned out she had a pulled nerve! The little lady has been in recovery since. Full function may take weeks or months to return to the foot, but she's getting along well enough now to return to the flock. Her mate welcomed her back with open wings and she's getting along just fine.

Attachments

• Wooleybirb2.jpg
    Wooleybirb2.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom