Question about a broody hen being moved...

TobersTractors

Hatching
Apr 13, 2024
Hi everyone,

I have a broody hen who is due for her hatching this coming week. She chose a box high off the ground and I feel stupid for not really considering this prior but now I'm very concerned about another problem. Our coop is unfortunately pretty flooded. We are in the process of switching over and moving the older hens once our new pullets are the same size. (We bought a new larger coop that they'll all eventually live in.) My concern is idk how her chicks are going to be able to thrive in a box off the ground or a ground that is flooded. I doubt it will dry up by this coming week. Would it be stressful/bad to move her to the other coop this late? Would she hurt the pullets? Would it stress her out and make her stop laying on them? I also should mention I have 2 ducks and a yearling tom in the new coop as well. I just don't want to see the chicks die after all that work. Can someone offer advice? Thanks.

How flooded? Could you post some pictures.

I am going to tell you, I have never had luck moving a broody hen. However, every broody hen I have ever had, has always moved her nest in 12 hours of hatching.

So I would be tempted to let her hatch right where she is, and then once she has hatched, then move her and the chicks together. But you are there, and can see the issue more clearly.

Mrs K

I have a broody hen who is due for her hatching this coming week. She chose a box high off the ground and I feel stupid for not really considering this prior but now I'm very concerned about another problem.
My broody hens hatch in nests 2' or 4' above the coop floor. The hen has no problem getting them to the coop floor after the hatch is over. She says "jump" and they do, then run to her unhurt. Once they come out of those nests they do not go back. She takes them to sleep on the coop floor. If another nest is available at floor level she might use that but not always. I don't consider the height of your nest to be an issue.

Our coop is unfortunately pretty flooded. We are in the process of switching over and moving the older hens once our new pullets are the same size. (We bought a new larger coop that they'll all eventually live in.) My concern is idk how her chicks are going to be able to thrive in a box off the ground or a ground that is flooded.
They are not going to stay in a box off of the ground unless you lock them in with enough room for food, water, and for them to poop. You'll still be cleaning poop a lot. As Mrs K said, you are looking at how flooded it is. If water is standing and they are going to be wet I'd be concerned.

Would it be stressful/bad to move her to the other coop this late?
If you decide to move her I'd prepare an area you could lock her in so she cannot go back to her old nest. Plan on her staying in there until after the eggs hatch. Move her at night with as little light and commotion as you can and still stay safe. I like to make her new nest fairly dark, that seems to calm them and help them accept the move. Not all hens will accept a move but many will. If you don't lock her in the new area there is a low chance she will accept the move, though a few do.

Would she hurt the pullets? Would it stress her out and make her stop laying on them? I also should mention I have 2 ducks and a yearling tom in the new coop as well. I just don't want to see the chicks die after all that work.
One big factor in any of this is how much room do they have. If a broody has enough room to keep her chicks separated from the others it usually works out. If space is tight you can have deadly problems.

If that flooding subsides you could leave them where they are. You could try moving the nest and see if she will accept the move. I'm partial to Mrs K's suggestion, move them after the hatch, but that is not your only option.

However, every broody hen I have ever had, has always moved her nest in 12 hours of hatching.
I'm not exactly sure what you are saying here. I've had broody hens complete the hatch and bring the chicks off of the nest within 16 hours of the first one hatching. I've had a few wait into the third day after the first chick hatching before she brough them off.

If you are saying 12 hours after the last one hatches, I agree. often before that. But if you are saying 12 hours after the first one hatches, that is not what I see.

If you are saying 12 hours after the last one hatches, I agree. often before that. But if you are saying 12 hours after the first one hatches, that is not what I see.
I have never had one stay for 3 days, but probably what I should have said, is the next morning, they tend to be out of the old nest not an exact set of hours.

If you move before they hatch, do secure them in the place, I tried to follow advice and move my first broody hens to a place that I THOUGHT was better, only to have them disagree and go back to her original nest and lost the clutch.

Now, I have a lot more experience, if you do move her, and she does leave, don't fret it. By this stage in the game, the chicks themselves are producing quite a bit of heat, and I have even successfully hatched chicks, where the hen got confused for close to 7-8 hours, the tops of the eggs were cool, but an experienced lady told be to put her back, and a week later they all hatched.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom