Question about breaking a broody

That sounds about perfect.
Do you have a section partitioned off in the coop for chicks, can you put her in there to 'brood'?
Yes. I have a mini coop in an 8'x3' section of my run that can be closed off to integrate new birds. It's hardware cloth separating it from the rest of the run for a see, but don't touch, integration.

Yes. I have a mini coop in an 8'x3' section of my run that can be closed off to integrate new birds. It's hardware cloth separating it from the rest of the run for a see, but don't touch, integration.
Do you have something to use as a nest?
Once she sticks, I'd put her in there after dark with fake eggs.
Hopefully she stays and when the chicks hatch you can swap them out.
If she doesn't take them, you can remove her and put a heater in there for them.

How I 'broody'.
When I have a broody and want her to hatch I wait until she's been in the nest most the day and all night for 2-3 days...along with those other signs I posted.

Then I put her in the broody enclosure with fake eggs in the floor nest, she won't like being moved, but if she is truly good and broody she will settle onto the new nest within a half a day.
Then I give her fresh fertile eggs and mark the calendar.

I like them separated by wire from the flock, it's just easier all around.
No having to mark eggs and remove any additions daily, no taking up a laying nest, no going back to the wrong nest after the daily constitutional.

I remove barrier about one week after hatch. The chicks are usually safe it's the broody who has to 'fight' her way back into the pecking order...which can be quick or take a few days.
Lots of space helps for re-integration.

I have a floor nest for broodies.
full

Do you have something to use as a nest?
Once she sticks, I'd put her in there after dark with fake eggs.
I'm leaning towards doing this. I have an extra nest pad and nesting material to put in the box in my grow out run. Last couple of questions, since I've always raised chicks in a brooder.

She's pretty low in the pecking order right now. Will that be an issue with her raising the chicks with the flock? They get along well, normally.

Will a mama hen normally let me handle the chicks? I've always hand raised them, so I'd like to be able to handle them early on, if possible.

Is a well behaved rooster going to be an issue having the chicks in the flock?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure I have my bases covered.

She's pretty low in the pecking order right now. Will that be an issue with her raising the chicks with the flock? They get along well, normally.
Hard to say what will happen when mama and chicks are reunited with the flock.
Best bet is for nesting area to be adjacent to main/coop run, so flock has 24/7 exposure with mama and chicks.
I've had mid ranking broodies become broody fierce to protect her chicks.
There will be fights when you take down the barrier between nesting area and main coop/run. My enclosed nest helps the chicks have a shelter while mama dukes it out, I also have a creep feeder area that only the chicks can get into.

Will a mama hen normally let me handle the chicks? I've always hand raised them, so I'd like to be able to handle them early on, if possible.
If you make 'friends' with mama while she's setting, which is good to do so you can check things out under her, she'll likely let you handle chicks...tho maybe not.
Need to spend a lot of time in with them for familiarity to happen. One reason broody chicks can be not as good as brooder chicks.

Is a well behaved rooster going to be an issue having the chicks in the flock?
Nope, he may help protect and care for them.
I did have one cock really go after mama tho.

Thanks @aart . I always appreciate the responses when I'm diving into new territory.
There are so many ways to handle a broody, and so many variables, it's hard to give pat(and accurate) answers.....plus with live animals, you just don't know.

....if you really want to go down the rabbit hole, browse thru this thread:

It's a long one but just start reading the first few pages, then browse thru some more at random. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/broody-hen-thread.496101/

Back
Top Bottom