Question about Broody Hen and eggs

krista74

Songster
5 Years
Jun 4, 2014
Victoria, Australia.
So I have a broody hen, who last night was on Day 11, sitting on 9 eggs. I candled them and determined 7 to be viable, 2 to be unfertilised. Upon smashing the two rejected eggs, I was confirmed correct in that regard.

Today, Day 12, Broody has broken open an egg. It has smashed all over the other eggs, and she has disposed of the remains of the shell at the opposite end of the coop!

I don't think the egg was rotten - there was no smell in the nest or in the egg shell. There was some blood in the shell though.

Do I presume that the egg was 'not right' and she rejected it for that reason? She is still stuck tight like glue to the remaining eggs, and is fiercely guarding them. I doubt she 'just got hungry' and ate it.

Would you recommend wiping the remaining eggs clean? Last time I did that, I only hatched one sole chick, so I am hesitant to mess around with them too much.

Thoughts? Comments?

Thank you.

Krista

I would clean the other eggs, yes, to avoid contamination and infection moving into eggs.

She may have sensed something wrong with the egg. She may have simply cracked it open by accident, while instinctively moving and turning her eggs.

Thank you Judy.

I have gone out and washed the remaining six eggs. I used warm water - slightly warmer than the eggs temperature - as I was worried that if I used cold water it might cause the eggshells to contract and 'suck in' any bacteria. I just wiped them down enough to remove the bulk of the dried yolk mess, then dried them on paper towel.

I also whipped out the yucky hay and fluffed the nest up for her, then put the eggs back in and placed her in front of the nest so she could walk in calmly and set herself back on the nest. She settled immediately, growled at me for having inconvenienced her, and fluffed up like a porcupine to try and scare me away.

I love Broody Hens
love.gif

Thanks again for your advice.

Krista

Last edited:
Hahaha! and, great!

Glad you knew about the warm water since I managed not to think of mentioning it....

Good luck!

Thank you Judy.

I have gone out and washed the remaining six eggs. I used warm water - slightly warmer than the eggs temperature - as I was worried that if I used cold water it might cause the eggshells to contract and 'suck in' any bacteria. I just wiped them down enough to remove the bulk of the dried yolk mess, then dried them on paper towel.

I also whipped out the yucky hay and fluffed the nest up for her, then put the eggs back in and placed her in front of the nest so she could walk in calmly and set herself back on the nest. She settled immediately, growled at me for having inconvenienced her, and fluffed up like a porcupine to try and scare me away.

I love Broody Hens
love.gif

Thanks again for your advice.

Krista
Sounds like you did everything right. I love broody hens too. I know they are trying to be scary with their puffing up and growling. But it just makes me laugh. It is just so darn cute!
love.gif

Just checked on Broody and she has been on her nest overnight, and was still there this morning. It's all good in the 'hood!

I remember reading about the warm water a few months ago, and at the time I didn't know if it was true or not. The one thing I though of immediately was "If I put cold water on a warm egg, might it crack?" Then I remembered the whole 'sucking bacteria into the shell' thing and thought "I will definitely use warm water!"

We will wait and see now. Only 8 days to go. I'm not too worried as my last broody sat on 8 eggs and kicked one out, eaten, a week from hatching too. She still hatched out 6 live chicks from the remaining 7 eggs.

Krista

I don't think I've ever had a broody hatch 100% of the eggs. They get accidentally broken, or she removes them; sometimes it's hard to say.

Back
Top Bottom