Question about calcium and egg color

Lola12

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
Got three eggs today, so I know a new girl has started laying. One of the eggs (I'm assuming hers) is very pale, with almost a white wash over much of it. In fact, when I glanced in the nest box I thought it was a white egg, which really threw me! I did a search of the forum and calcium keeps coming up. I just started offering oyster shell in a separate feeder, so that makes sense, even though the other two eggs were normal. I have the oyster shell and grit in small feeders on the ground, in a separate area from where their hanging feeder with their feed is. Is it possible that they might be eating too much of the oyster shell in lieu of going up into the coop where their feed is? I've noticed they're really going through that grit pretty quickly too. Should the supplements be right by their food? Sounds goofy, but don't want anyone eating too much of it? I guess it is possible that since this is her first egg and she just started eating the oyster shell, that maybe all the calcium she's had in the last few days was put into that egg?? Thanks for any insight!

Chickens are very good about regulating themselves on the amount of calcium (oyster shell) they need. I wouldn't be concerned. A newly laying pullet will often times have a few oddities going on with their eggs until they get it all the kinks out of the egg factory.
Every one of the eggs I got today was very pale pinkish/tan, but they are coming to the end of a cycle (going into a molt) and I've come to expect that.

Thanks so much for your reply! Very odd...after being in the fridge the "white wash" look diminished alot....it now just looks like a pale brown. Thanks again for your input...much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom