Question about Cochin X Frizzle and Smooth Satin Mixing?

Blackfanglucky13

In the Brooder
Oct 9, 2019
Hello. I'm expanding my flock to include chickens now. I'm currently on day 6 with some eggs I ordered online and I was wondering how they might turn out. The eggs are from a black blue cochin hen X black silver frizzle satin pairing and a partridge smoot satin hen X red smooth satin pairing. I was hoping to know the feather types I could get, specifically how likely it is to get a bird that looks like a silkie. They coop I'm planning to build is designed to accommodate the roosting/space needs chickens that can't fly and I need to know if I should adjust.

Hello. I'm expanding my flock to include chickens now. I'm currently on day 6 with some eggs I ordered online and I was wondering how they might turn out. The eggs are from a black blue cochin hen X black silver frizzle satin pairing and a partridge smoot satin hen X red smooth satin pairing. I was hoping to know the feather types I could get, specifically how likely it is to get a bird that looks like a silkie. They coop I'm planning to build is designed to accommodate the roosting/space needs chickens that can't fly and I need to know if I should adjust.
Hello!😊
Not sure what you mean by black blue? Is the Cochin black or blue? Dark blue?
Also black silver? Do you mean silver partridge?

With the first pairing (Cochin x Frizzle). You have a 50/50 chance of frizzled feathering and smooth feathering. Uncertain of the actual coloring, assuming dark blue x silver partridge than the chicks will most likely be black or blue with possible silver leakage.

The second pairing (Satin x Satin) would depend on if the parents are recessive for the Silkied feathers. If both parents are, then you have a 25% chance of getting a Silkied feathered chick.
Partridge x red will give you mostly red chicks, depending on what type of red the red parent is.

All color predictions are educated guesses and do not take into account any recessive traits the parent birds may be hiding.

You will be able to tell any birds with Silkied feathers at around 6 days of age, possible sooner by looking at the wings.

Most of my Silkies do not roost and prefer to sit on a shelf. I have a few that do though. A low roost will work for most.

Good luck with your hatch!😊

Back
Top Bottom