Question About Diagnosing Egg Bound Hen

Jun 7, 2022
Hi everyone,
I suspect I have an egg bound hen. This would be my first time dealing with this, however. If she was egg bound, would I definitely be able to feel an egg? I haven’t found a clear answer online.

She started acting slower than usual and I quarantined her yesterday and gave her scrambled eggs and PoultryCell to drink. She’s still drinking and eating but appetite is decreased significantly and her eyes seems glazed over. She has some heavy breathing, her abdomen is unusually hot and she’s very damp. Her poop was very watery but no blood so I don’t think is Coccidiosis. She can stand, but sits immediately after I prop her up. She sits to eat and drink. I believe she laid her first egg this week but I have 10 hens who recently started laying, so I can’t be sure it was her.

This is a different bird than the one that passed last week?

Are you in the US? If so, are you aware that each state has a state lab that will perform a necropsy to tell you exactly what you're dealing with? Some state labs are very cheap.

Are you in the US? If so, are you aware that each state has a state lab that will perform a necropsy to tell you exactly what you're dealing with? Some state labs are very cheap.
Yes, thank you. If she doesn’t get better, I definitely will look into that. Not sure how many more mystery illnesses and deaths I can handle.

Back
Top Bottom