Question about feed šŸ¤”

Bestofsmall

Songster
Jun 29, 2022
Coastal N.C.
In June of 22 we got Alfie a roo. All my girls were young & still on starter .I looked for all flock but couldn't find any & since he was ragged had been beat up by another roo at previous home I got feather fixer for him the girls liked it too so I just mixed it with rest of starter & next time bought only the fixer. They have been eating that since with a side of grit & oyster shell. I also put out scratch & 'wormies' for them daily & every afternoon they get to free range till they come inside around dusk when I lock them in 'coop. Yesterday we removed Alfie so I'm wondering if I need to change food again as now we only have girls may get a few more babies this spring. p.s.they may be a bit spoiled but seem healthy & happy. And Thursday I got 12 eggs! Yesterday only 8 but I am still šŸ˜.

I'm going to recommend this. As I always do for the typical keeper in typical BYC conditions. I'm also going to caution that "Feather Fixer" if you mean Nutrena's product, is a "high" protein (18%) LAYER formulation (4% calcium +/-) which can be very hard on both roosters and developing chicks over time.

Should this occur again, better to keep them on a feed (*likely labeled "starter" or "grower") which is high protein, 1% calcium, and hopefully superior AA balance, than to buy the feather fixer again - and as always, free choice oyster shell for your girls.

This is the one I have now, I will try to get something different next week can I mix what's left of this with the new or should I just throw it away?

Attachments

• 20230128_082727.jpg
    20230128_082727.jpg
    481 KB · Views: 2
Bring in the all flock (however its marketed
Look for names like: All Flock or Flock Maker. Basically, a feed for birds that is 18-20% protein. Oh, by "birds," I mean chickens, ducks... NOT wild birds. There are other livestock feeds with plenty of protein, but they won't have the other nutrients that birds specifically need.

Look for names like: All Flock or Flock Maker. Basically, a feed for birds that is 18-20% protein. Oh, by "birds," I mean chickens, ducks... NOT wild birds. There are other livestock feeds with plenty of protein, but they won't have the other nutrients that birds specifically need.
Another option is to just stay with starter/grower.

Back
Top Bottom