question about free ranging

LauraM

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 7, 2009
Everett, WA
so we have been letting our chickens free range during the day for several weeks now. At night they (4 hens) are in their tractor. We want to go away for the weekend soon. We can't leave them out of the tractor for the weekend, but it feels so cruel to leave them locked up for a few days now. I was kind of wondering what other people with their free ranging chickens when they go away for a few days? Thanks!

I don't but I live in deep woods where fox would have an all you can eat buffet if I did that.

I think they would be fine for a couple days without getting out. It certainly won't kill them. Maybe have someone come by and let them out for an hour or so while you are gone and lock them back up when they leave.

My hubby and I are going to the beach next weekend for a little R&R together and mine will be locked up till I get home. One thing for sure though...they will be super happy when you get home
smile.png

I have great neighbors that ask to watch my chickens. When I'm gone for any length of time I pay one of the neighbors.

So to answer your question no change in routine needed here.

Imp-I think the pets prefer I go out of town. They get off their diets.

Last edited:
I have a fenced in chicken yard. I do have an electric fence/wire around the outside as I had a neighborhood mutt dig under the fence and kill one of my hens. I have some friends and neighbors who collect the eggs. My nest boxes are on the outside of my coop. There are pictures on my BYC Page.

Move your tractor to a new place and keep them penned while your gone. They will be happy when you come back and on your regular schedule.

Back
Top Bottom