Question about Lithium batteries?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
Is there more than one type of Lithium battery? I ask because its not just electric vehicle car batteries that catch fire, but also ebikes. It seems like if its more than one type of product that there's doubts that they are a different kind of battery. And people openly admit that companies want to find something more stable than lithium batteries; like there's talk about doing a Na (Sodium) battery in the future. And there's also lithium deep cycle batteries in solar stuff.

So is there more than one kind of lithium battery? I've heard people claim that solar deep cycle batteries that are lithium are a different kind than lithium ev batteries... but it doesn't seem like that could be true.

This came up because a guy I ran into claimed that the lithium batteries in solar aren't the same kind as the lithium ones in these other products that are also a lithium battery product that made these fires. I don't see how that could be true though... people only quote Lithium and Lead Acid. They don't seem to quote 3 or more kinds of lithium batteries... but I wanted to get a second opinion on this? What do you think? (Its also possible the guy that claimed they aren't the same kind may have personal incentive as he sells solar equipment...)

Here's another example of the confusion in this, which I think is partly due to spin doctoring. When you look at Youtube videos on LFP batteries (lithium iron phosphate) they claim they are safer than other batteries. But if you listen VERY carefully in more than one video They NEVER state WHICH batteries they are safer than. And they especially don't state other lithium batteries as a comparison. They also make it seem like they are claiming that its better than cadmium and nickel batteries. But those batteries weren't the problematic fire batteries. And also they make it seem like either the cadmium or nickel batteries were the ones that were getting the fires.

If you pay attention to these points and then look at the LFP videos you will see this in how they seem to be wordsmithing things.

Is there more than one type of Lithium battery? I ask because its not just electric vehicle car batteries that catch fire, but also ebikes. It seems like if its more than one type of product that there's doubts that they are a different kind of battery. And people openly admit that companies want to find something more stable than lithium batteries; like there's talk about doing a Na (Sodium) battery in the future. And there's also lithium deep cycle batteries in solar stuff.

So is there more than one kind of lithium battery? I've heard people claim that solar deep cycle batteries that are lithium are a different kind than lithium ev batteries... but it doesn't seem like that could be true.

This came up because a guy I ran into claimed that the lithium batteries in solar aren't the same kind as the lithium ones in these other products that are also a lithium battery product that made these fires. I don't see how that could be true though... people only quote Lithium and Lead Acid. They don't seem to quote 3 or more kinds of lithium batteries... but I wanted to get a second opinion on this? What do you think? (Its also possible the guy that claimed they aren't the same kind may have personal incentive as he sells solar equipment...)
I think there are more than one type. Lithium ion is what's used in most phones and stuff. But they're all lithium, and as far as I know, all prone to exploding and stuff. Some batteries are higher quality than others.

Back
Top Bottom