Question about newly arrived hens

RitzvilleHen

Chirping
Mar 13, 2023
Ritzville, Washington
We just picked up 4 2 year old hens from a local farmer today. First time chicken tenders! We have a raised coop with a ramp and and automatic chicken door. The hens have been in a large barn with ground entry. My question is, will they go UP instinctively? They have never used a ramp, and haven't been handled. I didn't know how wild they would be! They have been exploring the run a bit, but mostly gathered in the corner for the past 6 hours. Also, should we keep the door open so they don't get shut out? I was not expecting this. Thanks!

Chickens hate anything strange that's why they are in the corner.

If they don't figure out the ramp, they will either find something to roost on in the run, or huddle together on the ground. In the dusk, they almost become comatose and are easy to catch. Just put them in the coop on the floor. You might have to do this 1-2 nights more, but generally a bird that age will figure it out pretty quick.

We just picked up 4 2 year old hens from a local farmer today. First time chicken tenders! We have a raised coop with a ramp and and automatic chicken door. The hens have been in a large barn with ground entry. My question is, will they go UP instinctively? They have never used a ramp, and haven't been handled. I didn't know how wild they would be! They have been exploring the run a bit, but mostly gathered in the corner for the past 6 hours. Also, should we keep the door open so they don't get shut out? I was not expecting this. Thanks!
Pics of your coop with ramp?

Congratulations! How predator proof is your run? They will instinctively want to roost. But if they don't know where to go, they may be perfectly happy to find something to roost on in the run. If you want them to go inside the coop, you could try tossing treats in there and sprinkling them on the ramp, if it seems they don't know why to do.

You can also "coop train" them by leaving them in the coop for a few days, and then once you let them back into the run, they should remember where they were those few days and know where they are supposed to go. But you may want to give them a chance to learn with treats or else manually move them if they were to roost somewhere you don't want them roosting.

What kind are they?

Congratulations! How predator proof is your run? They will instinctively want to roost. But if they don't know where to go, they may be perfectly happy to find something to roost on in the run. If you want them to go inside the coop, you could try tossing treats in there and sprinkling them on the ramp, if it seems they don't know why to do.

You can also "coop train" them by leaving them in the coop for a few days, and then once you let them back into the run, they should remember where they were those few days and know where they are supposed to go. But you may want to give them a chance to learn with treats or else manually move them if they were to roost somewhere you don't want them roosting.

What kind are they?
Gold

What kind are they?
Good idea! We are going to wait until dusk, and try the treats on the ramp. In hind sight, we should have put them in the coop first. They are golden laced Wyandotte hens, but some that the elderly gentleman has developed himself over the years, so they are good layers, but look a bit different than that breed to me! It doesn't matter to us though. They are beautiful! One layer an egg under the ramp, so not bad for being traumatized and relocated.

Chickens hate anything strange that's why they are in the corner.

If they don't figure out the ramp, they will either find something to roost on in the run, or huddle together on the ground. In the dusk, they almost become comatose and are easy to catch. Just put them in the coop on the floor. You might have to do this 1-2 nights more, but generally a bird that age will figure it out pretty quick.
Thank you so much! That is a good plan. I didn't know that about chickens. They haven't been handled, and I thought over time we would all adjust, and we could get them used to it. I just didn't know it would be the first night! We'll see how it goes tonight and then keep them in for a day or two. Again, thank you!

Since they're pretty wild, they still may not trust you even with treats. I'd wear a red headlamp and go out just around dusk/dark and place them in the coop on the roost or on the ground in there, then shut the door. Once they can't see they'll be easy for you to pick up and move around. keep them in there a few days to a week to home them to the coop.
When I have trouble catching chickens, I use a helper to herd them and a bath towel. They do eventually try to run away from the towel, but I can usually grab them without either of us getting hurt, and once they're wrapped in a towel, they're easy to doctor.

I talk to my chickens in a calm voice whenever I'm around them. They get worried by noises, but since they hear my voice and I'm not worried, they calm down about things. Just keep talking to them, and insist on touching them calmly when you can. I let them get up at my shoulder height and then rub their crops to check how full they are. They like that better than touching their backs or wings. Keep offering treats close to you, and become the bringer of food, and they may eventually fear you less. Good luck!

Thank you! They had all settled down on the ramp, so my husband picked one up and put her in the coop. She was out before the next could be put in, so we will wait until dark. Good advice...we spent the day quietly working in the garden near them and they seemed more inclined to explore. We will take it slow. They are safe in the run, as we studied so many coops and runs on BYC before we built. It will withstand the apocalypse, and the few preditores of our area can't get in!

Follow up: One hen went in the coop last night, and the others rooster on the ramp. We are leaving the coop door open for a couple nights until they all learn to go in. Out of the 4 hens, we got 3 eggs on their second day here, so they are adjusting. I am attaching a couple photos of our coop and run. The coop is built onto the front of our brick garden shed. The run is along our existing fence. It is small for now, 12x4, with plans to enlarge later in the summer.

Attachments

• 20230524_163350.jpg
    20230524_163350.jpg
    731 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230524_162015.jpg
    20230524_162015.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230524_163616.jpg
    20230524_163616.jpg
    486.3 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom