Question about putting baby ducks outside and water

This is my dining room. You can't see anything but the front entrance of the igloo doghouse I camoflauged. I plan to put it on the island in the pond in front of my house. I want the ducks to understand that is home wherever I put it. The ducks have free run of the dining room. Some of the chicks are starting to get in and out of thier Rubbermaid tub as well.

I don't understand why my kids think I am crazy.

88997_download10202010_014.jpg

Quote:
I am jealous! I would love to be able to have my "babies" in the dining room!! But I don't think the BF would like that too much. He already thinks I am crazy keeping them in the laundry room!

wow... (and that is a shocking wow)
wink.png
I started to actually think that the duck mommys in the wild really knew what was good or bad for their babies. I've heard and been told the information before but since I seen the ducks just doing their thing, I figured, well I FIGURED WRONG! THANK YOU, Mom 2em All.... for turning me back around/making me stop and think again. I got to go check my babies i will be back to finish /add to this post. ~Julie~
smile.png

Quote:
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic. I hope not.
smile.png

My duck does a pretty good job most of the time...but then again, babies dont always do what she would like them to do. I cant tell you how many times a stray duckling or two will go in the wrong direction or didnt pay attention, and end up "lost" behind the gate, or the fence...and start peeping its little head off. I like to watch them and tell them- "well, you would be the "lost" duckling in the wild...or 'raccoon food". And today, every one of the babies went through the wrought iron fence and were playing inside my flower bed- trying to be snake food (if I had snakes around here), while Mom was trapped behind the wrought-iron fence...and she was peeping at them (cant quack) and they were ignoring her. I am sad about the three that drowned. I dont understand- the water wasnt deep, but they must have chilled and then gotten trampled by the rest.
sad.png

Ive seen mama ducks at the local pond with a bunch of babies behind her- and some days, the numbers dwindle down until she only has a couple.
sad.png
Its a harsh reality that not all of them survive.

Your duck is wonderful! What color is that? I have Doodle, who is about seven weeks old, half Muscovy and half Runner that has that similar scalloping on her feathers. I just dont know what to call it.

~HAPPY MOTHERS DAY~ No I'm not being sarcastic. When I first started every thing with Ducks I was taking all precautions & totally babying the babies & the older ones. My dad would always look at me funny when i would go to the extent that i would (babying) the ducks & chickens so he ALWAYS gives a little chuckle then asks..well what do you think they do in the wild. So finally after watching the mom & babies & how they do things(so laid back and not to careful), then i figured maybe my dad was right.. what would they be doing in the wild.
idunno.gif
jumpy.gif
so after reading & thinking about what you & others said i thought i had better go pick up and move some things outside. i picked up the bigger ducks food and the extra water bowls. * I am soooo sorry" Mom 2em All" & "destinduck" for your loss.
hit.gif
I would freak if i found my babies like that. Sorry & Good Luck with the other duckies, ~Julie~

I didn't read all the posts in this thread but even on the first page I noticed that one thing was missing. Yes a small container for water is plenty! We went to autozone and bought a black oil pan, it's only about 3 inches deep. The reason you can't let babies have free access to deep water at such a young age is because without mom they can & lot of times do drown. Ducklings get their oils from their moms until they are approximately 30-45 days after birth, they are safe to be in water without their mother. Without the protective oils produced by the Mother, or feathers with barbicels that provide a waterproof barrier, a duckling's down soaks up water like a sponge. That's why we picked the pan we did because it's deep enough for them to enjoy it, yet still stand up & get out on their own.

I'm sure someone has already posted this somewhere tho.
big_smile.png

I'm so glad I found this post! I love the swimming pool set up and everyone's guidance! Saturday was our area's big chicken/small animal event and we couldn't resist picking up two mallard ducklings. Chickens are loads of fun to watch, but I have to admit - ducklings are a-whole-nother ballgame of fun! Their antics keep us cracking up by the minute. They're both 3 weeks old and holed up in a dog crate in our living room. Having them in the house and handling them has already worked magic on them becoming more tame... or at least it seems that way.

We're working quick to try and create for them an outdoor environment that's safe and secure - these two are growing up fast! And they are both pretty stinky!

Does anyone know if I let them hang out with the chickens, will they fly away on me when they're old enough, or do they tend to stay put? I have a feeling they'll fly off.
sad.png

Quote:
My 5 ducks are out with the chickens every day. They tend to stay in their own groups. Every now and again one of the roos will chase the ducks but not so much as they are bigger than he is.

The ducks are about 4 weeks old and the chicks are about 7-8 weeks.

I guess I didn't really answer your question.
hmm.png
Just wanted to talk about my flock.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom