Question about quarantining chicks

ninjapoodles

Sees What You Did There
11 Years
May 24, 2008
Central Arkansas
If you get day-old chicks from a private breeder, instead of a hatchery, do you need to quarantine them away from your other chicks? If so, for how long? Does NPIP status affect your decision?

If the chicks hatched out from the incubator and kept separate from other birds then I would say that would be fine. I put mine with my other incubated birds and they are all fine. I would be sure tho that they were not by older chicks that had been outdoors.

Quote:
What post? A user search returns 46 pages of threads.

Hangin': Thanks for that guideline. I couldn't figure out what the difference was, really.

Thanks for the response. Would NPIP status enter in your decision, or would you just separate them unilaterally? So, if you had chicks from one source, a few days old, in the brooder, you wouldn't add just-hatched chicks from a different source?

What about from the same source? We got two batches of hatchery chicks, a week apart, from the same hatchery, and when the second batch came, we just added them in the (large) brooder with the others, on clean shavings. Should we not have done that?

Thanks for taking the time to answer this.

Quote:
I keep all my chicks separated from my shipped hatchings even til they are 6 to 8 weeks old or older before I start putting them all together in one big grow out pen..I haven't gotten other chickens from other sources for years and when I did they were quarantined a full 30 days....I wouldn't think NPIP wouldn't matter as there are quite a few diseases for poultry...my thoughts and opinions....

Back
Top Bottom