Question about roosters?

I buy the layer pellets from Walmart and mix some scratch into their diet. However, there seem to be a logistic problem since they don't always have chicken feed on stock, so I end up buying local layer feed at $45 for a 50lbs bag. I mix scratch because it is cheaper, so it brings down the average cost.

I will cook my chicken before it dies, they lay best the first two years and after that egg laying goes down hill. Thus the reason for the meat and egg laying rotatioso you do feed your rooster layer feed anyway?
So you feed your roosters layer feed anyway?
No problems?

I have a question, everyone says to feed my two roosters and everyone else flock feed so the roosters can eat it, but I don't have all the stuff to feed my hens that they need constantly. And I'm scared to feed them layer feed cause I don't want to shorten their life!
Any things to say?
Roosters should not be fed layer feed-the extra calcium in it will damage their kidneys. In a mixed group of adults, offer All Flock and always make sure to leave out oyster shell so the hens can munch when they crave extra calcium.

Roosters should not be fed layer feed-the extra calcium in it will damage their kidneys. In a mixed group of adults, offer All Flock and always make sure to leave out oyster shell so the hens can munch when they crave extra calcium.
I was wandering cause someone I know feed his rooster layer feed also and said he hasn't had any problems

View attachment 3341636

So I've been curious for awhile now -

Code enforcement says I can have chickens, but no roosters. When I asked them for the city ordinance or law that said this they said there isn't one, that they enforce it under disturbing the peace. I've looked through the city codes many many times and it doesn't say anything about roosters or chicken noises. Obviously disturbing the peace would put it under this, but what makes my brain itch is It specifically talks about dog noises in the city code. I live in an area where in any 10 minute period there is a dog within 3 blocks barking non stop very loudly from 12am-11:59pm everyday and you can hear it clear as day...

Now to the question..

Would you risk this for a rooster? I have 1/3 of an acre (I know it's not that big) but it's not like neighbors are right next to me..

I really want to be able to have a rooster to be sustainable. I'm zoned for residential with animals... The city code doesn't clearly specify what this means or include a list of animals you can't have other then pigs and exotic animals...

Any input would be nice..
There are ways to keep a rooster and not have it intrusive to neighbors. Sounds like it takes a bit of work but it's possible. There are rooster "no crow collars" on line. I found them on Amazon for less than 50 cents. We anticipate raising meat chickens so need to make sure they don't start crowing. Doesn't keep them from crowing but it's more like a croak than a crow... You could get one at Walmart for about $6...

Attachments

• NOCrow Collars.png
    NOCrow Collars.png
    302.1 KB · Views: 4
There are ways to keep a rooster and not have it intrusive to neighbors. Sounds like it takes a bit of work but it's possible. There are rooster "no crow collars" on line. I found them on Amazon for less than 50 cents. We anticipate raising meat chickens so need to make sure they don't start crowing. Doesn't keep them from crowing but it's more like a croak than a crow... You could get one at Walmart for about $6...
Crow collars also work by making a bird unable to open its throat enough to crow. Which means if a piece of food gets slightly stuck, it's game over since he can't adjust his throat.

Depending on what breed you're using for meat, you likely won't need them anyways

I was wandering cause someone I know feed his rooster layer feed also and said he hasn't had any problems
Longterm kidney damage will occur in any creature that regularly consumes too much calcium. Your friend has simply not seen the signs of it yet in their rooster I’m sad to say, but they will. Thank goodness you have access to this information early enough not to make the same error 😊

Longterm kidney damage will occur in any creature that regularly consumes too much calcium. Your friend has simply not seen the signs of it yet in their rooster I’m sad to say, but they will. Thank goodness you have access to this information early enough not to make the same error 😊
Ok thx

Back
Top Bottom