Question about Toulouse geese

WVChickenFarmer

Songster
8 Years
May 6, 2011
Union, WV
I have had my Toulouse goose for about 5 months now. But I still have no idea if it is a male or female. I am wanting get a mate for him/her this spring. Right now we have 2 ducks with him/her. But I would really love to get another goose.

I guess my question is. Probably a stupid question really. But I am sort of new to raising geese. Do the male geese "hiss" more then the female geese? My goose is also very vocal. Every time my rooster crows he/she starts "honking" very loud. I'm not sure if Lucky (the goose) just don't like to hear the goose honk or what.

In general the ganders do threaten more but females will also hiss as they establish a breeding territory. Males are generally the bolder and more agressive in defending their nest area. Unfortunately difficult to tell when you've only got the one as you cant observe interaction and behaviour with others.

Have you any local friends who are competent at vent sexing?

Last edited:
Here are a couple pictures of mine... You will not be able to tell this early unless vent sexting, because the bags have not dropped yet..unless he is a dominat male he may try to breed the ducks...Mine are just starting mating season so if you have a pool for them to mate in you could see who is breeding who..

PLEASE be careful I had a pekins in with my geese and a when her mate died, the toulouse tried breeding her and he drown her..so be careful. I was so sad.
hit.gif

THIS IS OUR MALE, HIS BELLY V'S IN

THIS IS ONE OF OUR FEMALES, SHE HAS A BAG THAT DROOPS DOWN AND WHEN MATING SEASON COMES AROUND IT SWELLS JUST A BIT FOR THE EGGS..

I hope this helps!

Thanks a lot for all the replies. I heard it is really hard to tell if a goose is a male or female. A lady I know seems to think Lucky is a male only because "he" is so vocal. Lucky started the hissing here in the last couple of months. I really don't know how old he/she is either. Because the people we got him from did not tell use how old Lucky was. Also another thing Lucky has a bad foot so this is one reason I wonder if I should get a female goose.

I really don't know of any one around here that does vent sexing.

erijn5- I am sorry about your duck. I will watch Lucky around mine. Both of my ducks are male. Would this make any difference?

Your welcome, I didn't think so either. But he did, he even has multiple girlfriends but still wanted her too.. I was in shock when I found her.
barnie.gif

But anyway, good luck!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks a lot for all the replies. I heard it is really hard to tell if a goose is a male or female. A lady I know seems to think Lucky is a male only because "he" is so vocal. Lucky started the hissing here in the last couple of months. I really don't know how old he/she is either. Because the people we got him from did not tell use how old Lucky was. Also another thing Lucky has a bad foot so this is one reason I wonder if I should get a female goose.

I really don't know of any one around here that does vent sexing.

erijn5- I am sorry about your duck. I will watch Lucky around mine. Both of my ducks are male. Would this make any difference?

Well he shouldn't want to breed them, but later during maturity you may want to watch for dominance... But as long as they are raised together you should have no problems.

It sounds like you have a boy. The females have a very deep voice, and its more of a "humph" than a honk.
Mine go "humph, humph, humph" , especially when they're running to me for treats. The boys are so loud you can hear them 1/4 mile away, at least.

You can also watch for nesting behaviors this time of year. If you see your goose standing and sorting, or making a nest that would meanits a girl. Doesn't sound like you are going to see that though.

I've got to offer a gentle correction.

The "Bag" under the geese is called a lobe and it should be double on every breed but a Pomeranian. The V in front means nothing. Even the Pom geese (male and female) can have a crease in the front of the lobe.

Fat is stored in the lobe, so the size of the lobe isn't going to help you. females will look fat in the butt during laying season, but so will an over-weight male.

Ganders tend to be slightly higher-headed and more protective. Geese usually have a slightly lower voice. Differences are subtle and unless they are side by side to compare, I don't think that will help you.

If your bird starts laying eggs, you've got a female.

You could probably pay to have the goose gender identified with DNA testing.

Back
Top Bottom