Question: Incubation with possible crossbreed?

Cjrobison2019

Chirping
Apr 21, 2021
I've been incubating some eggs and noticed this cute little white one with one little grey speck. I have no white regular hens but do have some different Polish breeds including white and grey speckled... is this a possible cross breed??? Oh its so cute!!!! First time incubating eggs, but have had many chickens over the years. I am a crazy chicken lady 🤣🤣 I'll tell you what, if they're crossbreeding, I'm addicted... never know whats gonna come out!

Attachments

• 20210421_093543.jpg
    20210421_093543.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210421_093557.jpg
    20210421_093557.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 3
Any information would be greatly appreciated! I'm wondering if I posted this in the wrong thread lol. I still have more eggs in the incubator and was curious.

Maybe in the Raising Chicks section is better.

Tell us what potential parents you have.
I was wondering! Welp... def the splash (white with grey speckle) polish, blue polish and I have New Hampshire, black buff orpington, rhode Island reds... and there's another that I just can't remember what it was lol.

If you've got multiple hens and roosters of varying breeds kept together, cross-breeding is definitely a possibility. They're not different species, just different varieties of the same bird (chicken). They'll all interbreed and create barnyard mixes, which are definitely a lot of fun.

Yes, they will crossbreed varieties. We incubate 22 eggs a month and a big part of the fun is playing "who's the momma?" The guesses often change as the chicks grow and their real colors, combs, wattles and eye colors develop.

We also have two roosters whose physical appearances are opposites of one another. The dominant rooster is black and gray and the backup rooster is mottled ivory. 95% of our chicks are shades of black, gray or black and gray but the occasional light one turns up now and then.

Yes, they will crossbreed varieties. We incubate 22 eggs a month and a big part of the fun is playing "who's the momma?" The guesses often change as the chicks grow and their real colors, combs, wattles and eye colors develop.

We also have two roosters whose physical appearances are opposites of one another. The dominant rooster is black and gray and the backup rooster is mottled ivory. 95% of our chicks are shades of black, gray or black and gray but the occasional light one turns up now and then.
It is great fun and often confusing guessing the parents.

White phenotype hides a whole load of genotype colours. I learned that!

My paint rooster seems to throw some sex linked chicks with some of the various hen breeds I have.

I was wondering! Welp... def the splash (white with grey speckle) polish, blue polish and I have New Hampshire, black buff orpington, rhode Island reds... and there's another that I just can't remember what it was lol.
I don't know which of these might be the mothers, which might be the fathers. I have no idea what a black buff orpington might even look like, let alone it's genetic make-up. And of course I know even less than you do about the one you can't remember.

If you have hens and roosters of different colors/patterns or of different breeds in together you can definitely have crossbreeds. Breeds and colors/patterns are all manmade. To a chicken another chicken is a chicken. They don't care about breed or color/patterns. We do.

If the parents are pure breeds for color/pattern we can predict with pretty good accuracy what the chicks will look like. But if just one of the parents is a crossbreed for colors you can really get some surprises. I really like hatching from my crossbreed mutts, I never know what colors or patterns will show up.

So fun!!! I'm super excited!! To see the mixes

Back
Top Bottom