Question on Integrating Chicks with Hen

PucksBlade

Chirping
Jul 11, 2022
Hi all, I'm looking for some feedback. I have one rescue hen, Lacey, that I found and nursed back to health a few months back. She is now doing well in her coop, laying almost daily, though she is lonely as she is the only one. A month ago I purchased 4 little easter-egger chicks that were just a few days old. I've had them inside in a brooder box, and have just begun taking them outside to a pen along-side the coop so they and the hen could get used to seeing each other during the day. It's hot enough here in Central Florida that temperature is not a problem. They are now 5 weeks old. Today I brought the hen in to spend a few supervised minutes with the chicks to see how they would do together. Lacey did fine. The chicks, not so much. One of them pecked her comb, and Lacey gave her a little peck as if to say, "Stop it." No problem. Moments later, all four chicks started pecking Lacey at once. Oye! I pulled her out of there before anyone got hurt, but now I'm wondering how to proceed. Does anyone have any advice on how to integrate 4 chicks with one established hen? I'm wondering if I should introduce them one at a time for an hour or so each to get used to her, but I don't know if that would work either. Your thoughts are appreciated!

Attachments

• 20220806_082838(1).jpg
    20220806_082838(1).jpg
    710.1 KB · Views: 8
Hmmm...that's a tricky one.

Good news, the hen seems to be very chill with the chicks. Sadly, the chicks are being aggressive, likely out of fear, with the hen. Chicks peck at everything, so it's not surprising, but disappointing they gang up on her.

I'd start with 2 chicks at a time to integrate and see how that goes. Slowly extend time.
In time they should integrate. I'd start now as I'm concerned that the older the chicks get the more aggressive they may be with the hen. Now would be a good time to acclimate them, imho.

My thoughts
LofMc

Thank you for sharing, LofMc. That sounds like a good plan. I wish I had started them with her sooner, but I was more afraid of her reaction than of theirs. Newb mistake :p I will begin implementing your idea tomorrow. Looking forward to a happy flock of multi-colored egg layers!

Hmmm...that's a tricky one.

Good news, the hen seems to be very chill with the chicks. Sadly, the chicks are being aggressive, likely out of fear, with the hen. Chicks peck at everything, so it's not surprising, but disappointing they gang up on her.

I'd start with 2 chicks at a time to integrate and see how that goes. Slowly extend time.
In time they should integrate. I'd start now as I'm concerned that the older the chicks get the more aggressive they may be with the hen. Now would be a good time to acclimate them, imho.

My thoughts
LofMc

Attachments

• 20220812_081400.jpg
    20220812_081400.jpg
    437 KB · Views: 1
I'm glad it is working out. I hope you have more room for them other than what the photo shows. Cramped quarters will cause pecking.

LofMc
There is more space than the photo shows, and I'm working on plans to add a run to the coop. When we ordered the coop, it said it was large enough for 6 full-sized chickens. I was pretty disappointed when we got it put together. What were they thinking?? It will be ok while they are still small, but I plan to have something added to it before long. :0)

Just thought I'd post an update. After a week or so of 2 chicks at a time with Lacey, the hen, they were acclimated enough that I put them all in the coop together for the afternoon. They did great! I went ahead and left them in the coop for the night, showing them to go up to the nesting/roosting area. When I checked on them the next morning, they were still doing fine. Last night I had to put them all in the roost again, but tonight they happily put themselves to bed and snuggled down together. Lacey still waits for me to come out and say goodnight to her before turning in, but that has been her "normal" since we introduced her to the coop after we got her healthy. The chicks are 7 weeks old now, and growing so fast. We are well on our way to a happy coop-full of chickens! Thanks for your input!

Back
Top Bottom