Question Re: Other game birds etc.

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So I wasn't sure where to put this question because its more general and not about a specific species of game bird yet.

I wanted to ask which types of game birds you think are the most self sustaining? (And why?)

I think this type of questioning could really help us, those of us that are trying to help our families be more self sufficient, and be less reliant on a store for supplies.

I really love ducks. But one of my worries is,...what happens if this economic damage we're experiencing shuts down the ability of my local mill to get grain to make me poultry laying mash?

And because of this type of thinking, not in fear, but in the spirit of preparation and wanting to do something before the trouble comes down and being able to be resistant and employ myself, I want to discuss and think about, identify which types of game birds can be raised with the most free range sustaining ability?

(I believe that geese are one...but an issue with them is that I can't have them in the city because they are so noisy.)(Unless there's one type of geese species that's quiet? I doubt it but had to slip that in there.)

(And can quail be raised to sustain themselves without store bought feed?)

What else can be raised on free ranging?

What do you think about this?

Thanks a bunch.

It would depend on how much space you have. Geese need a lot of grass and it needs to make up 80% of their diet, so they need a lot of space.

Coturnix Quail are great because you can grow them up and process them so quickly. You could feed them on seeds and sprouts and insects if you were up for breeding insects. They don't take up much space either.

Interesting question. I've actually thought of this myself. I'll be mentioning chickens since I've had more experience with them.

What are you looking to accomplish? Eggs? Meat? Dual-Purpose? I'll assume eggs.

Game birds are naturally excellent foragers. However, they aren't really known for their productivity in eggs or meat. They also get broody quite often, which lowers their productivity even more.

Honestly, you can never go wrong with leghorns!

I've always loved leghorns (although they get a bad rap for being skittish. If handled from a young age, are super friendly). First of all, they lay beautiful large white eggs pretty much all year round. They have a small build, although probably not comparable to a game fowl. They can make a decent stew. Their food consumption is also very low. They are excellent foragers, too!

Sadly, there are some cons.

First of all, they are susceptible to reproductive issues. Sadly, this is quite common with breeds meant to lay every day. It puts a strain on their system and eventually, it fails. Don't let this discourage you! This breed can still live a plentiful life (4-6 years is the average life-span from a quick search).

Some may point out that their white plumage advertises predators for a meal. Not true! From my experience, white leghorns make the lowest death rate from predators. There are also brown leghorns who can blend in better with their surroundings if that's truly a concern.

I think its important to point out, chickens will likely not survive strictly on foraging, or at least they won't be healthy. You must have a heck of a property if you think this will work out. Chicken feed is the only food that's balanced for them. If you want healthy, productive chickens, you need a balanced feed meant for them.

Back
Top Bottom