Questions about brusing on hen.. (may be graphic? hen with wound)

aDillyDally

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 2, 2012
West Valley City
Hey all. We had two dogs attack our flock, long story short we lost 4 hens and have 4 left, 3 injured. One we didnt take to the vets, she just had a small cut on her back. The chicken expert at our feed store had us get Vetericyn wound and skin care, and she seems to be doing just fine now, shes even been laying.

We had to take two to the vets. At first glance, we didnt see any wounds on our bantam, but she was really listless and had most of her tummy feathers pulled out. I was worried she had some internal issue. Our wynadotte has a wing wound that we felt was too severe to deal with. The vet was awesome, cleaned the wounds out, gave them medicine and oxygen and kept then on observation. We took them home, no bandage on either of their wounds. They said to keep them in side, give them two different medications and everything should be ok.

They seem to be doing great, the wynadotte has even laid us a couple eggs. But... today when we went to give them their medications, Ediths skin look weird. The wound doesn't look bad, its not oozing or bleeding anymore but.. I just want to make sure its normal (because we havent had injured birds before) My husband thinks its bruising... its just such funky coloring.

The wound the day of the attack, (occurred at 7:00 am, this was taken 12 hrs later)

Today 7/13/13 12:00 pm

That's odd, I bet it is just bruising. Wish I would have seen your thread sooner seeing as no one responded (so frustrating!)

How are they now though?

That's odd, I bet it is just bruising. Wish I would have seen your thread sooner seeing as no one responded (so frustrating!)

How are they now though?
It was just such a strange color, and we havent had any injured birds before so I didn't know if the coloring was normal or not. She is doing so so so much better. She is back outside, once the wound was scabbed over.. (the bone looking thing was still sticking out so before we put her out we sprayed it with the cleaner stuff from the vet, put a non stick pad on it and some duct tape (per the reccomendation from a chicken first aid post I found somewhere on here) We also did the same thing with another hen when she went back out and her duct tape bandage just came off and her wound looks fantastic!

We did end up loosing a hen that we had taken to the vet with this girl, so we are down to three but they are doing GREAT GREAT GREAT.

Thank you for responding!

Oh I'm glad they are doing better! I'm glad you posted this in case anyone else has something similar they'll know it's nothing to worry too much about. Sorry about the loss though, that is hard! :(

hi folks,
i just got 6 rhode island red point of lay hens from a very respected hens farm,love them already but today one wouldnt come out,so i lifted her out she has what i can only describe as a swollen eye but not weepy or infected it looks like she got a whack and the tip from her beak is missing,do they rough each other up,she is drinking and eating when i put her out but just ant some advise please

steve

Steve, it is best to start your own thread so that people will respond only to your questions. Swollen eyes can be from a peck, but many times are because of respiratory infection which can spread through you whole flock. The hen with the point missing on her beak may have had her beak trimmed at birth. Many people do this to keep chickens from damaging each other by pecking, but most backyard people don't do this because it is disfiguring and seems cruel. I would call the person you got them from and ask if there is any infection going around, tell them about the eye, and take them back if they say they have any infection because things like that may not go away. You can treat with antibiotics but it can be chronic. You might take a picture and start a new thread of your own. Here is a link to common diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom