Questions about mareks

Itz_Kitkat

Chirping
Dec 6, 2020
Grande Prairie Alberta
I think my pullet has mareks with the symptom of being paralyzed in the legs and weight loss but I have questions.

1.I can’t get state testing because I live in Canada so how would I know for sure what it is?

2. If she recovers will she be able to go back into the flock?

3. She showed symptoms with the flock does that mean they are all carriers?

4. Can I still sell chicks and hatching eggs ?

I don't know much about resources in Canada, but here is one.
https://www.uoguelph.ca/ahl/diagnosing-neurologic-disease-backyard-chickens
If this one is not doable then I would make some calls and look for something nearby. There are some places that will do a PCR test on a blood sample from a live bird to confirm if it's Marek's, many others only do a necropsy on a deceased bird. The only way to know for sure is to do one of those things. Other things can sometimes mimic Marek's symptoms, so it's a good idea to get confirmation. Once you know for sure, then you can make better decisions.
Marek's is very contagious, so if it's confirmed then all your birds have been exposed and your flock is considered carriers, whether or not they show symptoms. Some birds do recover, many do not. It would not be responsible to sell chicks without disclosing that you have Marek's in your flock, if that's the case. Hatching eggs would be safe, but I would still disclose it.

I don't know much about resources in Canada, but here is one.
https://www.uoguelph.ca/ahl/diagnosing-neurologic-disease-backyard-chickens
If this one is not doable then I would make some calls and look for something nearby. There are some places that will do a PCR test on a blood sample from a live bird to confirm if it's Marek's, many others only do a necropsy on a deceased bird. The only way to know for sure is to do one of those things. Other things can sometimes mimic Marek's symptoms, so it's a good idea to get confirmation. Once you know for sure, then you can make better decisions.
Marek's is very contagious, so if it's confirmed then all your birds have been exposed and your flock is considered carriers, whether or not they show symptoms. Some birds do recover, many do not. It would not be responsible to sell chicks without disclosing that you have Marek's in your flock, if that's the case. Hatching eggs would be safe, but I would still disclose it.

Thank you ! I will look into some testing for her fingers crossed it’s not mareks. At least we can still sell eggs safely if that’s the case. She has not gotten better nor worse in 3 weeks and since then no other chickens or our 5 week old chicks have shown symptoms

Back
Top Bottom