Questions about New Coop (DESERT climate)

I'm in a desert too...hot and dry with a monsoon season. I use plain dirt. I go in and flip the dirt every now and then to keep it soft. It stays nice and loose in a hot, dry climate. The chickens love it when I turn the soil. It's not fancy bedding, but it means I can see if theres a rattle snake since we have to deal with them here. I haven't found a way to keep the snakes totally out and it only took once of finding a rattlesnake in the coop to decide that bedding they can hide in is not for me. I don't like using sand because it feels hot to me.

In monsoon season the loose dirt absorbs the water as well instead of pooling like it does on our brick like dirt. I have wood that holds the dirt level a little higher then the surrounding ground on one coop and bricks on another just so theres no chance the monsoons will flood the coop or run. You can also put hardware cloth under the dirt at ground level to keep rock squirrels etc out. It'll last quite a while in dry weather.

I also recommend keeping a water bowl that the chickens can stand in for cooling. I use a shallow wide rubber feed bowl. You can have a nipple water set up too but a shallow bowl they can stand in is deeply loved by my chickens.

No idea on your roofing! That's a good looking set up you're building though! If you don't have it already...a wind free space for them to sleep in during the rare winter storms would be good too.

Wanted to add that the dry, loose dirt also keeps the flies down. One of my first desert experiences was planting grass, watering it and stepping outside to see the ground covered in thousands of thirsty flies! Never saw such a site in my life...lol. If where your at is like my area...summer temps and the flies come wherever theres moist ground.

Great info- thanks! We will probably build a shelter inside for winter (and tarp the sides).. as this is their full time space. (Also install nesting boxes, and spots to roost & swings) we are thinking we will line the inside perimeter with cinderblocks to fill with sand - or deep bedding if the sand doesn’t work out.
Love the pool idea! Was thinking of large mailboxes for nesting- but now I am worried they will be to hot… what do you thunk?

I'm in a desert too...hot and dry with a monsoon season. I use plain dirt. I go in and flip the dirt every now and then to keep it soft. It stays nice and loose in a hot, dry climate. The chickens love it when I turn the soil. It's not fancy bedding, but it means I can see if theres a rattle snake since we have to deal with them here. I haven't found a way to keep the snakes totally out and it only took once of finding a rattlesnake in the coop to decide that bedding they can hide in is not for me. I don't like using sand because it feels hot to me.

In monsoon season the loose dirt absorbs the water as well instead of pooling like it does on our brick like dirt. I have wood that holds the dirt level a little higher then the surrounding ground on one coop and bricks on another just so theres no chance the monsoons will flood the coop or run. You can also put hardware cloth under the dirt at ground level to keep rock squirrels etc out. It'll last quite a while in dry weather.

I also recommend keeping a water bowl that the chickens can stand in for cooling. I use a shallow wide rubber feed bowl. You can have a nipple water set up too but a shallow bowl they can stand in is deeply loved by my chickens.

No idea on your roofing! That's a good looking set up you're building though! If you don't have it already...a wind free space for them to sleep in during the rare winter storms would be good too.
Great ideas! Thanks!
We also have rattlesnakes (I was bitten by one before- not fun!)

So I wonder if a dirt/sand mix could work? The coop doesn’t have a floor- does a hardware cloth skirt work or do I need to cover the entire ground - that will be expensive 😰 the coop is 8x16

Great ideas! Thanks!
We also have rattlesnakes (I was bitten by one before- not fun!)

So I wonder if a dirt/sand mix could work? The coop doesn’t have a floor- does a hardware cloth skirt work or do I need to cover the entire ground - that will be expensive 😰 the coop is 8x16
I think the mailboxes could work with deep shade. As long as the sun never shines on the metal. I use vines, trees and other buildings to create deep shade.

You don't have to do hardware cloth under it...I do in one coop to keep rock squirrels from burrowing into my coop. That coops in my garden and has a greenhouse next to it. The rock squirrels are constantly trying to get into both. The hardware cloth works to keep pests out but it doesn't last forever ands a pain to replace. I use it only in the coop the squirrels keep trying to get into. Just depends on what you need to keep out.

I think dirt/sand would work fine.

Ouch on getting bitten! We've had a horse, dog and a rabbit get bitten (we only lost the rabbit)...even a dry bite can make you swell like crazy. Hope you never have that to go through that again!

Excellent design.
Why mailboxes? Unless you own them you will spend a lot of $$ on them. They will also get rather hot due to no air flow. Silkies will go broody. Free nesting boxes would be milk crates, 5 gallon buckets on their side, old cat litter pans, old bookcase... You obviously have building skills and could knock 2 boxes out with some scrap lumber with your eyes closed.
If composting material is ready available (leaves, grass,straw...)for free or a reasonable price, start there. The finished compost will be valuable where the sand will just be sand. Just put a 2x6 in front of the door to hold back the bedding.

I think the mailboxes could work with deep shade. As long as the sun never shines on the metal. I use vines, trees and other buildings to create deep shade.

You don't have to do hardware cloth under it...I do in one coop to keep rock squirrels from burrowing into my coop. That coops in my garden and has a greenhouse next to it. The rock squirrels are constantly trying to get into both. The hardware cloth works to keep pests out but it doesn't last forever ands a pain to replace. I use it only in the coop the squirrels keep trying to get into. Just depends on what you need to keep out.

I think dirt/sand would work fine.

Ouch on getting bitten! We've had a horse, dog and a rabbit get bitten (we only lost the rabbit)...even a dry bite can make you swell like crazy. Hope you never have that to go through that again!
Unfortunately we have zero shade. So for now I think I will put the boxes inside at the back & install a fan & get a mister.

When the rattlesnake bit me, I was airvac’ed to the hospital 5 days & had 2 hand surgeries- they said that rattlesnake was “loaded for bear “. 🤪

Thanks for all your help!

Excellent design.
Why mailboxes? Unless you own them you will spend a lot of $$ on them. They will also get rather hot due to no air flow. Silkies will go broody. Free nesting boxes would be milk crates, 5 gallon buckets on their side, old cat litter pans, old bookcase... You obviously have building skills and could knock 2 boxes out with some scrap lumber with your eyes closed.
If composting material is ready available (leaves, grass,straw...)for free or a reasonable price, start there. The finished compost will be valuable where the sand will just be sand. Just put a 2x6 in front of the door to hold back the bedding.

Thanks! I had a guy who built it for me 😀 as our “building-skills” are non existent. I am crafty though. I wanted used mailboxes (extra large 14”W x 21”T x 17”L) because they are so cute.. I can get them for $10-20 on offer up. If I drilled air/vent holes on the sides.. and found a way to shade them.. do you think it could work?

Attachments

• 193203E2-753D-456E-9AE3-44BA0409A35F.jpeg
    193203E2-753D-456E-9AE3-44BA0409A35F.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 3
This is going to be my first summer with chickens in Phoenix so I'm no expert, but I do like to look at what my local feed store does for the chickens that live on their property.

Today I was at the Western Ranchman on 32nd Street and they had left the door open on their open-air coop for adult birds. A few birds were in the coop (shavings/wood chips on the ground) but most I was told like to hang out underneath one of the tractor-trailer trailers where they leave the hose on a trickle to create cool dirt.

I also like to look at Edge of Nowhere farm on youtube (they are in Wittman) and I think their coop floor is dirt as well.

Not sure if you really need to plug every gap but every site is different (what with critters trying to get in).
coop_front.jpg
coop_side.jpg

Back
Top Bottom