Questions about prolapse vent

I believe I will need to start treating her for sour crop. I checked it tonight - It's not very full, but what I do feel in it feels like a squishy water balloon. 🙄😞 I will begin treatment in the morning as directed the article by @azygous .... I have read that many, many times.

I'd re-check her crop first thing in the morning, if it's not emptying, then begin treatment.

With her having a prolapse, some swelling, etc. this can slow the digestive system down, so hopefully once the prolapse has corrected itself, the crop problem will resolve too, but it won't hurt to get ahead of the game and treat the crop too.

I'd re-check her crop first thing in the morning, if it's not emptying, then begin treatment.

With her having a prolapse, some swelling, etc. this can slow the digestive system down, so hopefully once the prolapse has corrected itself, the crop problem will resolve too, but it won't hurt to get ahead of the game and treat the crop too.
Will do! Thank you so much!!

Hennedy's crop was empty this morning. I checked it a little bit ago, and compared to others in the flock, there is not much in it. She didn't touch her scrambled eggs nor the meal worms. Lately, when I see her pecking at her feed, she seems to be just tossing it around, rarely picking anything up to eat. So, I just tood her out to her flock. She immediately started pecking at the ground with the rest of the girls...and she was actually eating some of the feed and apple scraps my daughter had just scattered for them. She is still dealing with the prolapse, which I helped push back in before putting her with the girls. I am worried about them pecking at her, but I feel like her health will decline keeping her segregated. I will keep an eye on the situation. I am interested in making the wrap for her as @coach723 suggested, but I am confused on how to make it so that she can still poop. I will have to really study the chicken anatomy better! 🤪

Update: soaked Hennedy in epsom salt for about 20 minutes. Applied antibiotic ointment and castor oil. This time, I could actually feel that there was a scab that was lifting. (It was the spot that I was concerned was poop that I couldn't get clean.) I carefully removed the scab, working slowly so that if she showed any signs of discomfort or if it started bleeding, I could stop. I believe I was able to remove the whole piece. Yay! Then I reapplied the antibiotic and castor oil, gently pushed the protusion back in, and slathered her with honey. I was all prepared to wrap her this time. After she was dried, I saw that the tissue had remained inside. Double yay!! I took her back out by the flock and monitored her while I raked a bit. Everything looked good. I checked in on her multiple times today, and I just came in from closing up the coop...she is roosting right along side the rest of the girls, and her hind end still looks great! Triple yay!!! Praying this continues and we are over the health crisis. Will post update tomorrow. 😊😊😊

Update: soaked Hennedy in epsom salt for about 20 minutes. Applied antibiotic ointment and castor oil. This time, I could actually feel that there was a scab that was lifting. (It was the spot that I was concerned was poop that I couldn't get clean.) I carefully removed the scab, working slowly so that if she showed any signs of discomfort or if it started bleeding, I could stop. I believe I was able to remove the whole piece. Yay! Then I reapplied the antibiotic and castor oil, gently pushed the protusion back in, and slathered her with honey. I was all prepared to wrap her this time. After she was dried, I saw that the tissue had remained inside. Double yay!! I took her back out by the flock and monitored her while I raked a bit. Everything looked good. I checked in on her multiple times today, and I just came in from closing up the coop...she is roosting right along side the rest of the girls, and her hind end still looks great! Triple yay!!! Praying this continues and we are over the health crisis. Will post update tomorrow. 😊😊😊
This is a wonderful update!
I hope the tissue stays in. Looking forward to see how it goes tomorrow😊

Update...thinking this will be my last post on Hennedy's prolapse. 😁 (Boy, I hope I didn't just jinx myself!) She is out and about today, scratching away, with the rest of the girls. Everything is staying where it should be. 😉 She must have dust bathed yesterday in a container of sand and wood ash I made for them because she has a gray tinge to her back area. Makes it much easier for me to spot her, lol. Every time I check on her, I walk away with a big smile on my face and in my heart. What a great feeling to see her living life! Thank you all for your help!!! Thank you for sharing your wisdom so we could save her. ❤️❤️❤️

(I will continue to monitor her since I am not sure about her egg-laying abilty yet.)

Update...thinking this will be my last post on Hennedy's prolapse. 😁 (Boy, I hope I didn't just jinx myself!) She is out and about today, scratching away, with the rest of the girls. Everything is staying where it should be. 😉 She must have dust bathed yesterday in a container of sand and wood ash I made for them because she has a gray tinge to her back area. Makes it much easier for me to spot her, lol. Every time I check on her, I walk away with a big smile on my face and in my heart. What a great feeling to see her living life! Thank you all for your help!!! Thank you for sharing your wisdom so we could save her. ❤️❤️❤️

(I will continue to monitor her since I am not sure about her egg-laying abilty yet.)
So glad to hear she's doing well!

Thank you for the update, good news!:)

Back
Top Bottom