Questions about Saxony ducks

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi all, I am new to ducks, with a dozen Cayugas and Khakis who are three months old. I am interested in Saxony ducks as they are larger and more dual purpose, and have mostly brown plumage. I also like the Appleyards but am concerned about their white plumage, that if they stay out at night they will be easily visible by predators on the pond. The black and brown ducks I have right now are invisible, day and night.
A few questions: will mixed offspring of Saxony, Khaki, and Cayuga show all dark plumage?
Can I just stick with the Cayugas and Khakis I have now, and breed them for larger weight in successive generations?
Ordering: Seems like the only option for purchasing is from Hoover's but they have a minimum of 15 starting next April. There is a local ad with three five-month-old Saxony drakes from Hoovers, which would be much less expensive and still get the genes into the flock. Would it be possible to integrate them into my little flock? Right now there are 2 drakes and 9 female ducks.

When you are trying to preserve the breeds, Don't mix them.
If they are only for your own use and you like to see what kind of colours you cam expect from offspring, this is a good website. Just fill in the colour of the male and of the female and you see the colours of the babies,

The site is not perfect, especially when you don't have a purebred flock or a long history, but it will give you a good indication

Back
Top Bottom