Questions on a Chicken Tractor build for Grow Outs.

Rebelucio

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2023
I was wondering if I could layout the roost/perches like this. And since it is only for grow outs, do they need to be spaced 18" apart or can I make them closer? About how many young chickens do you think I could fit in this?
Thank you!

Attachments

• chicken tractor.png
    chicken tractor.png
    276.2 KB · Views: 47
I'd stick with the 18".

How far/old will they be grown out to....and will they be sold at the end of that time.... or....?

I wouldn't put more than 20-25 in that space.

The chickens in my flock I started out with are a medium size breed but the sapphire gems and australorps I raised last fall are a bigger breed so they required more room in the grow out area than my adults.Because of limited space I won't be raising anymore

Are these meat chickens that you will slaughter at 2 months old?
If so, you'll need to be able to move pretty regularly and be on flat ground so preds can't get under the edges.
Yes, sir, they will be meat chickens. I'll be putting cut cattle panels that will flip down when at rest. I'll add hardware cloth to them to make them predator proof, so it will be impossible to dig 2 feet around the perimeter. I got the idea from a youtube video.

Thank you for answering!

Yes, sir, they will be meat chickens. I'll be putting cut cattle panels that will flip down when at rest. I'll add hardware cloth to them to make them predator proof, so it will be impossible to dig 2 feet around the perimeter. I got the idea from a youtube video.
Will still need to be on flat ground....and don't forget the corners.
I did much the same here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-hoop-coop-chicken-tractor.72211/

Oh and meat chickens(cornish cross) will not likely roost at all.

You answered questions I didn't even know needed to be asked.
Here's some more:
How do you plan to move that thing...wheels or skids?
Wheels must be large and fat or they will be tough to roll on anything less smooth than a moved lawn or concrete.....plus they will interfere with the anti-dig aprons.

What kind of ventilation do you have planned?
Hoop coops are pretty easy to build but they are tough to ventilate while still having rain protection.

Back
Top Bottom