Quiet duckling

DotandDave

Chirping
Feb 8, 2018
Hi I have a khaki Campbell (not purebred, unsure sex at this stage) duckling, about 8 days old now. I'll say girl for now. Bought her 4 days ago. I was aware that 2 of its siblings died at 2 days old. We bought 2, called them Mork & Mindy. Mork passed away the night we brought him home. So 3 deaths in the batch. Mindy is okay - not great though. I got a couple more mates for Mindy the next day - from another source, a friend breeder. The instant look of pure joy on my little Mindys face when she saw more ducklings - priceless!! My friend gave me 2 baby runners. All 3 are instant friends. I'm pleased Mindys not alone now.

I'm still worried about my little Mindy. I have a heat lamp and comfy straw, constant supply of clean water and chick starter. Brooder is set up in my kitchen, nice and warm. Mindy walks well. Not clumsy. Drinks well. Havent seen her eat much, but she's eating okay. She took a few mealworms. Stretches, yawns and seems normal. Just not very physical.

I have a little tray with ankle deep water. The last 2 days, ducklings have had a treasure hunt in the middle of the day in it. I've put live meal worms in it. The runners are right into it, digging in with their bills and very active. Having a good ol time. Mindy will stand in the water and walk around, but not get involved at all. She just walks in and out a lot. I then put them back in the brooder to get warm again. The 2 runners preen and go back to sleep. Mindy just goes back to sleep without preening. Poos okay. I wouldn't say she's weak, just standoffish compared to the others. She doesn't preen like the others. She doesn't fight me much if I pick her up for cuddle. She cuddles in and goes to sleep instantly. Still alert though.

I'm thinking there's some sort of birth defect. Nothing physical that I can see. Definitely no trouble walking. Perhaps some deficiency.

Taking her to vet tmrw (it's a public holiday here today.

Here's a pic:
15885677002936822555970433391280.jpg

A vet examine would be a great idea. Also if you can get them feed appropriate for waterfowl Purina Flock Raiser is one crumbles and there are other Nutrina all flock. But they need more niacin than what chick feed has. She sure is Precious hope a vet can help Mindy!

A vet examine would be a great idea. Also if you can get them feed appropriate for waterfowl Purina Flock Raiser is one crumbles and there are other Nutrina all flock. But they need more niacin than what chick feed has. She sure is Precious hope a vet can help Mindy!

Thank you. She's gone off her food, slowly getting weaker. We've made it thru the night with some live mealworms, heat and her little mates. I've been up every few hrs checking on her. I'll get an emergency appointment first thing this morning. I suspect coccidiosis. Not from here, where she came from. I was surprised the prev owner gave me chick starter - will be onto a proper feed for them. I have been reading about ducks needing more niacin. Only a few more hours til I can get her some vet help. May get the vet here, so I don't take her away from her heat. I'll keep you all updated ❤️

Back
Top Bottom