Quiet pheasants. Tragopans?

A few more questions to the general community concerning Elliot's Pheasants:

1. What is the square footage required to comfortably raise a pair?

2. Can they deal with cold? (below zero)

3. Is there a license required to raise them? I saw they are listed on CITES and the IUCN red list.

Thanks in advance!

I still have not given up on tragopans; any other information from anyone who has a remote knowledge of their care would be very helpful.

Thanks Austin81 for the information concerning ringnecks.

3. Is there a license required to raise them? I saw they are listed on CITES and the IUCN red list.

Thanks in advance!

I still have not given up on tragopans; any other information from anyone who has a remote knowledge of their care would be very helpful.

Any time :)

Thanks in advance!

Elliots aren't any different than other pheasants in regards to habitat space. Of course bigger is better. I raise mine in 300 sq ft enclosures. I don't like to say there's a minimum space requirement but if you don't have the space or funds, then 125 to 150 sq ft would be the smallest I would go.
They can handle the cold just fine. As long as they are dry and protected from drafts.
As far as if a permit is required, you need to check with your state's Game & Fish or in your case, Country or Province Game Commission or whatever it's called in Canada.

Elliots aren't any different than other pheasants in regards to habitat space. Of course bigger is better. I raise mine in 300 sq ft enclosures. I don't like to say there's a minimum space requirement but if you don't have the space or funds, then 125 to 150 sq ft would be the smallest I would go.
They can handle the cold just fine. As long as they are dry and protected from drafts.
As far as if a permit is required, you need to check with your state's Game & Fish or in your case, Country or Province Game Commission or whatever it's called in Canada.
Lol @007Sean in Canada its called the Ministry Of Natural Resources (MNR) for short.

Back
Top Bottom