Rabbit cage size

bridgetchicken

Songster
Sep 19, 2022
Is keeping a rabbit in a 5ft long, 15 inch deep and 2ft tall cage adequate for a standard size New Zealand bunny? And is it okay if the cage has a PVC coated wire floor?

Is keeping a rabbit in a 5ft long, 15 inch deep and 2ft tall cage adequate for a standard size New Zealand bunny? And is it okay if the cage has a PVC coated wire floor?
Depends on who you ask and what you're planning to do with the rabbit. Pet keepers will probably have issues with the floor at least, likely the size too. Most that raise them for meat keep them in smaller cages for grow outs with wire floors, with a solid spot for them to rest their feet on

Depends on who you ask and what you're planning to do with the rabbit. Pet keepers will probably have issues with the floor at least, likely the size too. Most that raise them for meat keep them in smaller cages for grow outs with wire floors, with a solid spot for them to rest their feet on
Is it cruel if the rabbit is not used as meat but rather as an outdoor pet that lives in a 5ft long wire cage?

I’m really confused here. Why is it okay to raise meat rabbits in a 30inch cage but if their raised as pets then it’s cruel.

I’m really confused here. Why is it okay to raise meat rabbits in a 30inch cage but if their raised as pets then it’s cruel.
Because it's different styles of husbandry.

Personally, my meat breeders were in 36x36 cages for the larger rabbits and 24x24 cages for smaller rabbits. They weren't pets, they were livestock and lived in a barn.

My friends each dedicate a portion of a room in their homes to their individual buns. I think it was like 4x4 feet for one and like 3x4 for the other.

People that raise them as pets have different thoughts. As I've said in each post.

And you said 15 inches, not 30. 15 inches is a very narrow turning area.

Back
Top Bottom