Rabbits and chickens

It depends. Rabbits are very heat sensitive, so being outdoors is a risk for them, since they frequently die of heat stroke. Extreme cold can be an issue as well though they typically handle cooler weather better than they do heat.

Assuming the coop is predator proofed well, it will be safer than your typical rabbit hutch. But even still, rabbits can easily die of a heart attack from predators so much as getting near then or trying to get in.

I'm not sure what size coop and run you have, but the plus would be that most chicken coops provide a decent amount of space.

Though for a pet rabbit, it would be much easier and better to keep it indoors. That way your rabbit will not only be much safer, but you'll be able to bond with it more.

You can use a wire dog playpen as an enclosure. Be sure to provide free roaming time in a bunny proofed room for 4 hours a day too.
You can easily litter train rabbits, especially when they're fixed, and they can roam a room or house just like a dog or cat with bunny proofing.

Are you thinking of getting a rabbit, or do you already own one?

*edited to fix typo

Last edited:
I did that once. Unfortunately, my rabbit dug a hole in the run and got under the coop.

You'll want to do something so the rabbit can't dig out anywhere. Things like burying the fence down deep, or lining the inside of the wall of the run with rocks. Boards might work as well.

No probably not.
There are quite a few people that house their rabbits inside their chicken coop.

What kind of rabbit do you have?
Two New Zelands
It depends. Rabbits are very heat sensitive, so being outdoors is a risk for them, since they frequently die of heat stroke. Extreme cold can be an issue as well though they typically handle cooler weather better than they do heat.

Assuming the coop is predator proofed well, it will be safer than your typical rabbit hutch. But even still, rabbits can easily die of a heart attack from predators so much as getting near then or trying to get in.

I'm not sure what size coop and run you have, but the plus would be that most chicken coops provide a decent amount of space.

Though for a pet rabbit, it would be much easier and better to keep it indoors. That way your rabbit will not only be much safer, but you'll be able to bond with it more.

You can use a wire dog playpen as an enclosure. Be sure to provide free roaming time in a bunny proofed room for 4 hours a day too.
You can easily litter train rabbits, especially when they're fixed, and they can roam a room or house just like a dog or cat with bunny proofing.

Are you thinking of getting a rabbit, or do you already own one?

*edited to fix typo
I have two New Zealand rabbits. They are living in a 10x10 dog run with an old chicken coop that would be good for three hens. They are a breeding pair I am going to use the offspring for income. Money from selling their young for pets and the babies we don’t sell will be used as meat and fur.

Back
Top Bottom