Rabbits and chickens

lfoose

Songster
12 Years
Oct 1, 2007
Medina, OH
We have a rabbit, a girl and have the chance to get another rabbit. A girl also. Does anyone know if they will get along with each other? Also, do you see a problem w/the rabbits living in the coop w/the chickens?

my experience only,so take it for that,
we kept our dwarf in with our chickens and all was fine, i know someone else who does to, but i think it depends on the rabbit and the chickens

and i am sure, there is some reason why you shouldnt and cant, as with keeping turkey with chicken, we do that too, or pheasants with chickens, we do that too lol
or quail with doves, we are known offenders of these rules everyone is fine,

rabbit to rabbit i have never done girl with girl so i cant help you sorry

We have a bunny and i looked into getting her a buddy. i was told that they do love a companion but that they will lose interest in people. http://www.tagyerit.com/hopline/index.html#adopt
there
is a site you might find info if you decide to get a second bunny. personally, i would put a rabbit hutch in the chicken coop as long as the bunny is not loose with the chickens or having to be hopping in their poop.
idunno.gif

I have let our rabbit out into the coop from time to time, just to run around. The rabbit will chase the chickens, the chickens chase the rabbit. But I just wasn't sure if living full time or two of them living full time would be a good idea.

We already have 3 cats, 17 chickens, fish, a rabbit and a mouse and I am afraid of falling back into the animal rut I was in before. At one time we had 11 cats becuase I just couldn't let any cat I knew of go to the APL....and that is where the bunny will go.

Ugh:rolleyes:!

I've never heard of anyone having trouble with their hens, but I have heard of two cases where their rooster attacked the rabbit. I'm sure they were just trying to protect the hens. Still, it ended badly for the rabbits.

Edited to add: If you decide not to keep your rabbit, there are a couple of House Rabbit Society chapters in Ohio. Most chapters are usually full of rescues from shelters, but you could always try getting a hold of them. They might be able to help you. One of the other BYC members might be interested, too, if you posted in the BST section. I just wanted to give you some possible alternatives, if you decide not to keep her in the future.

http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/index.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom