Raccoon Avoiding Trip Pan in Trap for 1 Full Month

Oct 2, 2021
We are having a major raccoon problem in our yard. Two raccoons are coming nightly, eating our grapes and then using our side yard as their restroom. We have small kids and have had to keep them out of the yard so they don’t go near the feces and it’s getting really old. We’ve had two live traps set out for almost a month. We caught one raccoon the first week but the other two have come back every single night, enter the trap almost fully, steal what bait they can while avoiding the trigger pan and then leave. I’m at my wits end. Any tips or tricks for getting the raccoon to step on the trip pan? Are any other types of trapping methods legal in California? I need these guys gone. I’m losing my mind!

Welcome!
Once trapped, raccoons are very smart about live traps. There are Duke traps that many people find effective, look them up. I think they can be ordered online.
Use a larger sized live trap, and tie the bait so it dangles over the plate, and add something heavy to hold the trap down, or block access around the baited end from the outside.
And only trap if you are then shooting whoever you catch!!!
There are pest control companies that will do all this for you, for a price.
Mary

I had no luck trapping my raccoon pests with a live trap. I have trail cam video of them sniffing the trap and walking around it several times. I just bought the Duke dog proof traps and bam, I caught 3 raccoons and it's only been a week. I wish I had just bought the Duke traps first. They work much better and they are a lot cheaper. There are lots of youtube videos that show you how to use them. Just make sure to stake them down to a tree or rebar. One of my traps ran off (I'm assuming on the arm of a raccoon) because I attached it to a short piece of rebar. I won't make that mistake again.

This thread is now 4 months old, y’all. I would hope OP would have caught the coon by now but they haven’t been back on since. I don’t even think they saw any of the replies. So who knows. That said though, this is all good information in case someone else needs it so it’s good it’s been shared but just figured I’d mention in case anyone was expecting a reply or anything but yeah.

I hope they already solved their problem as well. I just know I stumbled onto this forum looking for help for the same problem. So I figured I would share my experience. I am very happy I got the Duke traps. I just wish I hadn't spent the money on a live trip first.

I had no luck trapping my raccoon pests with a live trap. I have trail cam video of them sniffing the trap and walking around it several times. I just bought the Duke dog proof traps and bam, I caught 3 raccoons and it's only been a week. I wish I had just bought the Duke traps first. They work much better and they are a lot cheaper. There are lots of youtube videos that show you how to use them. Just make sure to stake them down to a tree or rebar. One of my traps ran off (I'm assuming on the arm of a raccoon) because I attached it to a short piece of rebar. I won't make that mistake again.
:welcome:frow

Back
Top Bottom