Raccoons Eating Chicken Feed

Yes, I know that, but I have heard people talk about having critter issues and using straight house current (my reference to 110v) on a fence and finding fried racoons and even a dead deer.A few years ago, a guy on a beekeeping forum talked about using a transformer from a microwave oven, but without a pulse, just continuous current, and he mentioned killing a few animals on his fence.

Help! Raccoons are eating our chicken feed every night. We first started noticing a disturbance around the coop a couple weeks ago, put out a trap, and have been catching 2-3 raccoons a week. I stopped putting food scraps in the chicken run to avoid attracting predators, but that didn’t seem to help. We finally put a camera out, and sure enough, every night a raccoon or two comes up to snack on the chicken food. We use this feeder:
https://rentacoop.com/collections/all/products/25lbs-mounted-metallic-feeder
They don’t lift up the lid to get to the food (we have it strapped down), but are able to get to the food from the bottom.

We use Purina Organic Layer Pellets. I’ve read other posts on here that say raccoons aren’t interested in chicken feed since it is mostly grains, but they sure seem to enjoy it here! Our coop itself is very secure, so thankfully they haven’t gotten to our chickens yet.

Anyone have any suggestions for a feeder we could use that is more “raccoon proof”? Completely enclosing the chicken run is not practical for us, as it’s a large area. We do have a fence around it, but the raccoons obviously climb right over it. I also realize that we could bring the food in and out of the garage every morning/night, but this is a little bit of a pain for us.

Thank you in advance!
Same issue, I have a 25 lb feeder outside of my coop (A formex/snaplock). I bought a fairly cheap plastic trash can that I turn upside down and put over the feeder when I close the coop at night. Coons lifted it...lol, so now after I put the trash can "cover" over the feeder, I set a large concrete block on top of the trash can and it's been a year with no coon vandals! Good luck.

Again i say..

Attachments

• 46DC20D1-9CDB-4553-A381-247EB53D7E35.png
    46DC20D1-9CDB-4553-A381-247EB53D7E35.png
    925.6 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom