Raising a rooster as a housepet, advice?

I need advice on what to do or if I'm missing anything major, perhaps if there's an item that will stop the rooster from mounting my hen entirely (diaper?)? Or if I can do anything to reduce these rooster behaviors without hurting him? I'm wondering if it's too dangerous just to keep one girl and one boy together as well.
One way to 100% prevent a rooster mounting a hen: put them in separate cages. If the cages are side-by-side, they can still socialize and not feel lonely. This will be more effective than an apron or anything else for the hen.

It might be possible to let them be together sometimes and separate them at other times to give the hen a break, or they might need to always live separate but next to each other.

When I say "cages," I mean whatever kind of enclosure they live in. I am not trying to recommend a particular size or kind of cage/pen/coop/etc.

This will not help at all with the issue of crowing, just with avoiding over-mating.

Here are pictures of him. Maybe I've interpreted his gender incorrectly and he's actually a hen and there's nothing to worry about?? My hen is to the right of the second picture for comparison purposes.
He looks male to me.

Your best sources for information are people who've raised roosters indoors with a hen successfully. I've only kept roosters with hens or hens without roosters and never as inside pets so the only thing I can advise you on is how different a rooster acts around a hen and the other way around.They make better pets as all roosters or all hens

What medical issues? I've already accounted for most of them, but thanks for the heads up. And I'm not uncomfortable with it, just don't want my hen to be hurt. Interesting advice, I'll keep it in mind! I'll have my eye on him, I can rehome him for sure if things get worse :)
Does your chicken dust bathe indoors?

Back
Top Bottom