Raising keets in brooder with chicks and possibly turkeys?

TMarie

Songster
9 Years
Feb 28, 2013
I'm having baby chicks delivered and I have guinea eggs in the incubator. I want to raise them with the chickens to pick up on their tendencies (going to bed at night, not wandering too far etc)
I'm even considering getting a couple baby turkeys if I can.

What would I feed them while they're in the brooder? Can they share the same feed?

I'm having baby chicks delivered and I have guinea eggs in the incubator. I want to raise them with the chickens to pick up on their tendencies (going to bed at night, not wandering too far etc)

What would I feed them while they're in the brooder? Can they share the same feed?
The keets and poults need a high protein turkey or game bird starter for the first 6 to 8 weeks. This feed will not harm chicks but chick starter can harm the keets and poults.

I do not recommend brooding keets with any other poultry due to the harm that can come from the keets becoming imprinted.

Guineas have entirely different instincts than any other poultry. Everything can seem to be going fine right up to their first breeding season. At that time the guineas will start their races, chases and attacks from behind along with feather pulling and breaking. Other poultry do not understand this behavior and can become very stressed from the attacks. They also have no clue of how to show submission guinea style which can cause the attacks to be even worse.

Yea, @R2elk pretty much sums it up in describing the instincts of guineas. These are the instincts that have kept them alive for thousands of years and rearing them with chickens will not change that. If I were you, since you have guinea eggs in the incubator, I'd start thinking of adding on to your existing coop so all your birds have plenty of room but even better yet build a seperate coop for your guineas. This forum is filled with problems with guineas and other poultry trying to coexist. Unless you have a lot of room for your guineas to roam you might also consider rehoming them to someone else. Guineas are a challenge. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom