Raising My First Chicks

Malcolme2204

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2020
I am new to this chicken stuff so I am asking people what tips and tricks they have and what they would tell somebody just starting to raise chickens because I want to learn from other people's experiences and I think that everyone can help somebody and I definitely need help lol! So what tips do you think would be good for me and my family of 6?

Btw, I am 15 yrs old

Rookie mistake #1 is too small of a brooder with a heat lamp. They need a warm area and a cooler area to move to if they get hot. That way they can self regulate their body temp.

#2 Check for poopy butt for the first few days.

#3 Provide food and water 24/7.

#4 Chicks are very dusty. By the time they are out of the brooder, your parents will want them out of the house if that is where they are so be prepared to hear that.

Rookie mistake #1 is too small of a brooder with a heat lamp. They need a warm area and a cooler area to move to if they get hot. That way they can self regulate their body temp.

#2 Check for poopy butt for the first few days.

#3 Provide food and water 24/7.

#4 Chicks are very dusty. By the time they are out of the brooder, your parents will want them out of the house if that is where they are so be prepared to hear that.
Okay Thank you! So we actually built a chicken tractor for them so that is what we are going to put them in once they grow up. I have heard a lot about the pasty butt so what are good ways to clean it because I know not to try to pull it off. Thanks for all the tips!

I am new to this chicken stuff so I am asking people what tips and tricks they have and what they would tell somebody just starting to raise chickens because I want to learn from other people's experiences and I think that everyone can help somebody and I definitely need help lol! So what tips do you think would be good for me and my family of 6?

Btw, I am 15 yrs old
Stay on top of it. Keep the area clean, freshwater, and clean food dishes. You're doing a good job son! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom