Raising orphaned wild duckling

BuckeyeFoodie

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 29, 2013
Columbus, OH
So this morning I get a frantic call from my aunt that she had scooped a day-old-or-so wild mallard duckling off the road. No sign of mama anywhere, baby was huddling with a single dead sibling. Of course, I take it in.

I have the poor little sweetie in my brooder set-up, and ran out and purchased a pair of three-day-old runner-ducklings so that it won't get lonely. It seems to have settled in nicely, is drinking, eating, and cuddling with it's new "siblings". I have raised ducks before, just wondering if there is anything I need to do differently for a wild mallard?

I have 5 baby Wood Ducks that have been with me for about a week and a half, rescued from a storm drain. They weren't keen on duck starter crumbles mash, so I had to adapt. Sounds like your little one is settling in nicely. These are my 1st ducks, go figure, right? I'll be releasing these guys, thinking probably mid to late August. Anyhow, good luck!

Mallard care is the same as the runners - same species, runners just being domesticated.
Nobody will know if you keep them all.
Mallards tend to show up where domestic ducks live, anyway!

Technically, it's illegal to take any wild duck from the wild. The best thing to do would be to turn them over to a wildlife rehabber in your area. They will either have other wild ducklings already in their care or will know of someone who does. It's more than just feeding them the right stuff, by taking them in with you and not really knowing what you're doing, the babies will be very used to humans. A rehabber has techniques they use to prevent them from getting too comfortable with people. I know your intentions are good, but it's best if they go to a wildlife rehabber before it's too late. It's also against federal law to be in possession of one that you took from the wild.

Back
Top Bottom