Raising peafowl with chickens and hatching peafowl eggs under broody hen

humblehillsfarm

Crazy chicken lady
Mar 27, 2020
Southwestern Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
I’ve got another hot idea in my brain. If raising ducks with my chickens isn’t the best choice right now.... what about a pair of peafowl?

I don’t care about the noise. I know my coop is large enough, but I am concerned that my pop door is too small. It’s a standard size for a coop.

Will peafowl get on the roof of my car? Are than any diseases they can catch from chickens as is the case with chickens and turkeys? Will peafowl lay anywhere or lay in a nest box or do they lay so infrequently that it doesn’t matter?

Can I put peafowl eggs under a chicken? I did read the article on BYC about pros and cons of peafowl.

If it’s a bad idea, well I’m relying on you all to shut me down! 😂

I’ve got another hot idea in my brain. If raising ducks with my chickens isn’t the best choice right now.... what about a pair of peafowl?

I don’t care about the noise. I know my coop is large enough, but I am concerned that my pop door is too small. It’s a standard size for a coop.

Will peafowl get on the roof of my car? Are than any diseases they can catch from chickens as is the case with chickens and turkeys? Will peafowl lay anywhere or lay in a nest box or do they lay so infrequently that it doesn’t matter?

Can I put peafowl eggs under a chicken? I did read the article on BYC about pros and cons of peafowl.

If it’s a bad idea, well I’m relying on you all to shut me down! 😂
It's a bad one because it takes peafowl 28-30 days to hatch and chicken will ONLY stay broody for about 21-23 days.

It's a bad one because it takes peafowl 28-30 days to hatch and chicken will ONLY stay broody for about 21-23 days.
Not my chickens. They tend to stay broody until I break them or give them eggs. I have an incubator though that I could start them in. My last two broody’s were both broody for weeks before I set eggs under them. My main concern was whether or not peafowl will get backwards social norms like guineas when being raised by chickens.

Not my chickens. They tend to stay broody until I break them or give them eggs. I have an incubator though that I could start them in. My last two broody’s were both broody for weeks before I set eggs under them. My main concern was whether or not peafowl will get backwards social norms like guineas when being raised by chickens.
LOL, yeah, we use chicken hen too, we will keep them on a nest for three or four brood cycles or they quit. They do ok raising peachicks but we normally pull the eggs at the time of pip and give the hens new eggs to set.

I use chickens all the time and they stay on the nest until the eggs hatch regardless of how long it takes. One of my hens, "Madame Pompador", is the best. She will never give up!
Aww I myself have never raised peacocks but that's great to hear! At most my broody stays for up to 25-26 days

Back
Top Bottom