Raising store bought chicks with existing flock

NOLA farm

Chirping
Dec 2, 2016
New Orleans
Good morning folks. This CV19 has given people time to worry or hopefully get things done. My family is in our 4th year of raising chickens. Along the way we have had a couple random deaths and a culling or two. Nothing extraordinary except for the awesome egg production. We built our own coop/house/mansion and then over doubled the run size 1.5 years later when we did our first new chick old chick attempt.

The first time was a great success. It is hard to find good info outside of this group. It is easier to tune out and think for yourself and make logical decisions that may or may not work out on how to make this work without losing lives. We built a coop within the coop for the 10 chicks. We did not follow feed store advice and get heat lamps, quarantine chicks inside until 5 weeks old or temps are over 80 or 90. We gave an igloo like shelter inside the coop within the coop for the chicks to huddle. All the while the big chicks are getting used to having these new things around. We expanded the coop run and modified sleeping quarters and it all worked out and all lived.

Now this year we are doing an introduction of 8 chicks again. This time we used a dog kennel and bird netting for two days. Then we removed the bird netting and created a cinder block stack entrance only the chicks could get into. Now 7 days later the chicks are roaming around like they have been there all along and the older girls could care less. At first, the top hatters (lowest on the pole) would pick at them. A couple of the older girls began picking on them even more and now they seem to have left the chicks be. It appears we will be successful again this year and wanted to share that here.

Our process once temps get to 67 or higher at night is to:

1) Select breeds we want and find them of 2-3 day old chicks

2) Put coop within the coop in place for a day at least for the older girls to get used to it

3) protect chicks from getting out of the coop within the coop for a couple days

4) Let chicks have access to get out and observe them getting messed with

5) While observing, if they do not run back into their safe place - assist them by hand

6) They should get the hand of it pretty quickly

7) Once they seem to be comfy and no longer careless with protecting themselves remove the bird netting and provide permanent access to roam

8) As time goes on and they size up, providing ample sized exit and entry are the only needs outside of feed and water

9) Watch n amazement how the older girls shuffle their dynamics a little or a lot to re-establish a pecking order with the new chicks

10) Once the coop within the coop is gone the dynamic will shift again and before you know it they are settled.

Seems easy? We think so. Nature has a way...

Our flock has been Brahma's, Maran, Austrolorp, Orpington, Dominique, Easter Eggers, Rhode Island Reds, Golden Wyndottes, Silver Wyndottes, Top Hatters, and now Amberlinks, Barred Rocks, Two more Orpingtons, Golden Comets.

Last tip - we buy new chicks in pairs, except the top hatters we got 4. This is only my theory and so far so good. If they have a buddy they will do better. The old girls had each other so chicks with buddies seem to work.

Happy Spring 2020 everyone!

That's really helpful! We are on a similar track. We have 3x 3 year old barred rocks in a coop that's pretty big for 3 hens. (We had 4, but Mr. Hawk paid one a visit.) We have a very large secure run too. We just bought 4 tiny rock red pullets yesterday. Right now, they are brooding indoors, but my husband also did a coop-within-the coop design so they can go out there as soon as keeping them in the kitchen gets old (and I remember from last time, it DOES get old! I have 2 daughters, 6 and 10 so they're enjoying chicks while we're all sheltering in place here from CV19, but still. At some point in the next couple of weeks, chicks will need to go outside!)
I digress, I've been wondering how to get the chicks out of their little brooder section and into the run without cutting a second hole in the coop, which I'd really hate to do as our other door from coop to giant secured run is on a solar powered pop door. We need lots of predator protection. I also wondered if I'd need to give the chicks a section of the run until they get bigger or not. My barred rock girls are pretty mellow, but were total jerks to their queen hen when she went through a molt, so I'd hate to see what they'd do to chicks.
And your chicks started co-mingling with hens after only 7 days?!!! Do they put themselves to bed at night too? I'd love to see pictures of this set up because it sounds right up our alley!

That's really helpful! We are on a similar track. We have 3x 3 year old barred rocks in a coop that's pretty big for 3 hens. (We had 4, but Mr. Hawk paid one a visit.) We have a very large secure run too. We just bought 4 tiny rock red pullets yesterday. Right now, they are brooding indoors, but my husband also did a coop-within-the coop design so they can go out there as soon as keeping them in the kitchen gets old (and I remember from last time, it DOES get old! I have 2 daughters, 6 and 10 so they're enjoying chicks while we're all sheltering in place here from CV19, but still. At some point in the next couple of weeks, chicks will need to go outside!)
I digress, I've been wondering how to get the chicks out of their little brooder section and into the run without cutting a second hole in the coop, which I'd really hate to do as our other door from coop to giant secured run is on a solar powered pop door. We need lots of predator protection. I also wondered if I'd need to give the chicks a section of the run until they get bigger or not. My barred rock girls are pretty mellow, but were total jerks to their queen hen when she went through a molt, so I'd hate to see what they'd do to chicks.
And your chicks started co-mingling with hens after only 7 days?!!! Do they put themselves to bed at night too? I'd love to see pictures of this set up because it sounds right up our alley!

so the run surrounds the coop as one big cage. Rough dimensions are 20x20 feet and 8 plus feet high. No need to lock the sleeping quarters as the cage is more than enough as it has underground security as well.
For us each time it was a matter of curiosity for the big hens. Your always gonna have jerks and well let’s just say the first go around the big jerk to the chicks was culled by the flock, no kidding. The only packers are the top hatters and the flock has already toned them down. I am pretty amazed too but I think the space we have is a large part of it. Secondly it protecting them within the coop so the oldest get to see them regularly.
Send some pics of yours and good luck. We just don’t do indoor chicks as we have hungry dogs and kids!!!

A4B3781B-F32F-4822-B709-91051DD19CE8.jpeg
55CD84C8-C165-4CEA-B217-56B24D9CB062.jpeg
76FDE4D8-A79E-449E-ADB9-9D9041D8AA21.jpeg
319D7CE3-68C9-4678-AFD8-ECF9C1A4042F.jpeg
A2EA720C-E5E1-44D2-B137-3CB7655BE416.jpeg
D897977A-0041-4743-9624-E5E53F591F1E.jpeg
9B05096C-4299-44CB-997C-A6EBCC946CC7.jpeg
BCBA3F55-0E86-4F06-897A-20B2E2985960.jpeg
B046BCB6-7512-4427-9FE4-C4D8240C1FB7.jpeg
3077DB69-508F-42B6-9185-EFA80C1DE267.jpeg
51DB89D3-8E35-405C-901A-77CCD239BC09.jpeg

I use a method similar to this. I have a brooder and I put a mesh inside the doors that the "big chickens" can not get through. The little chicks can go in and out when they want. They are in the brooder from day one and know it's their safe place. I close the doors at night and lock them in just as I lock the other chickens in their runs at night for protection. The brooder is in the free range area. I don't quite get your cinder block "door", even with the pictures. Can you explain to my tiny little mind?

brooder shed.jpg

I use a method similar to this. I have a brooder and I put a mesh inside the doors that the "big chickens" can not get through. The little chicks can go in and out when they want. They are in the brooder from day one and know it's their safe place. I close the doors at night and lock them in just as I lock the other chickens in their runs at night for protection. The brooder is in the free range area. I don't quite get your cinder block "door", even with the pictures. Can you explain to my tiny little mind?

View attachment 2057389
well I had some blocks lying around so I came up with a “chicks only” access doorway. On the top I have bird netting. This keeps the curious buffers out and provides 24/7 safe space for the chicks. I am all about the pecking order but until they size up it is not exactly fair. Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom