Raspberry Bushes Inside Duck Pen

TinaandJohnny

Chirping
Aug 23, 2022
Hey! Anyone have experience with raspberry bushes in their ducks pen? I’m building my boys their garden now since the weather has gotten nicer and I’m trying to add some natural shade cover for them. I read that ducks can eat raspberries in moderation but am unclear about the leaves and such. I got a large one and will probably put it right outside their fence so they don’t consume the raspberries constantly. They’ll still have shade and I suspect they will poke their heads through the fence and nibble on the leaves. So just taking precautions. Let me know, thanks!

(Boys down at the creek “lookin for stuff!”)

Attachments

• 5F329F62-BA89-4ECA-B871-CCB2A21072D4.jpeg
    5F329F62-BA89-4ECA-B871-CCB2A21072D4.jpeg
    922.5 KB · Views: 40
I have a raspberry patch the ducks use. They sit in and around it for shade, shelter and grubbing for bugs. They do like the berries but I've never seen any interest in eating the leaves. My raspberries grow pretty tall and most of the berries form above duck height so I just share with them when I'm picking. Raspberries, are a mixed blessing and we ripped out half the patch last year because it was just too big. They spread pretty aggressively and can take over an area quickly. Maybe yours is a better behaved variety.

I have a raspberry patch the ducks use. They sit in and around it for shade, shelter and grubbing for bugs. They do like the berries but I've never seen any interest in eating the leaves. My raspberries grow pretty tall and most of the berries form above duck height so I just share with them when I'm picking. Raspberries, are a mixed blessing and we ripped out half the patch last year because it was just too big. They spread pretty aggressively and can take over an area quickly. Maybe yours is a better behaved variety.
Thank you! Yeah I’m hoping it kind of takes over the side of the fence I’m planting on! I love the look of natural cover! Thanks again! 👍

I have a 10' long raspberry patch along our deck and my ducks love to hang out under it, root around and sometimes eat fallen raspberries but they don't seem to have much interest. Before I had ducks I used to have issues with beetles in the raspberries but that has been resolved thanks to the ducks. I've never seen my ducks eat the leaves. I used 2 U-Posts (also called T-Posts) and strung garden wire between them to hold the raspberries upright. Every year I tuck new growth into the wires or string more wire to help pull them back in. It makes for a great little "fence" This photo is May last year. They filled in really well and it was a big green wall even above the railing.

Attachments

• c3214919-4dcc-47b5-b918-bcccc75f8c8f.jpg
    c3214919-4dcc-47b5-b918-bcccc75f8c8f.jpg
    609.6 KB · Views: 12
I have a 10' long raspberry patch along our deck and my ducks love to hang out under it, root around and sometimes eat fallen raspberries but they don't seem to have much interest. Before I had ducks I used to have issues with beetles in the raspberries but that has been resolved thanks to the ducks. I've never seen my ducks eat the leaves. I used 2 U-Posts (also called T-Posts) and strung garden wire between them to hold the raspberries upright. Every year I tuck new growth into the wires or string more wire to help pull them back in. It makes for a great little "fence" This photo is May last year. They filled in really well and it was a big green wall even above the railing.
Oh yeah that looks really nice! I have a couple of those little T-Posts laying around too! Mine looks like this.. you think I could train it with those posts to grow in more width?

Attachments

• F80570B5-F3D1-4764-976A-C3326AB01859.jpeg
    F80570B5-F3D1-4764-976A-C3326AB01859.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Oh yeah that looks really nice! I have a couple of those little T-Posts laying around too! Mine looks like this.. you think I could train it with those posts to grow in more width?
Oh absolutely! The raspberries themselves fill out really nicely. I just use the posts and wire to keep them from flopping down. It seems to help them grow taller too, they get more sun and aren't snapping off at the top. Overtime if you get volunteer raspberries outside your "fenceline" you can just dig em out and plop them into line. I found a photo from last year end of June!

Attachments

• 285167961_10166651187260714_3777317803382564175_n.jpg
    285167961_10166651187260714_3777317803382564175_n.jpg
    811.5 KB · Views: 11
Oh absolutely! The raspberries themselves fill out really nicely. I just use the posts and wire to keep them from flopping down. It seems to help them grow taller too, they get more sun and aren't snapping off at the top. Overtime if you get volunteer raspberries outside your "fenceline" you can just dig em out and plop them into line. I found a photo from last year end of June!
Oh those look beautiful and heathy! 😍 Mine was wrapped around a stick when I got it then looked limpy when I took it out. Awesome! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom