rat snake and free chickens

Dita Orlik

Chirping
Jun 2, 2023
Hello. Does anyone ever had 13 weeks old chicken killed by Western Rat snake if the chicken was free/free range? I have about 2”OD rat snake closing up on them.
I have seen ton of pictures and videos but always the chickens were locked up and no way of escape? Mine are free from 6am to 9pm everyday. I personally think that snake has no chance.

I had a 5 foot long rat snake in my coop and he only wanted eggs, he never bothered my chickens !

Snakes eat anything they can fit in their mouth and regurgitate what can't be swallowed (including young pullets and bantam chicks)
Hello. Thank you for your answer. I do know that of course, My question is if you know anyone who had grown chicken killed by western rat snake if it was completely free. I have done ton of research on line and I can’t find one single incident. Therefor the odds that my chicken will not see the snake and let him get it roaming free in its own environment so far are 0%. They are not moved from place to place by me either. They do what they want and are familiar with their surroundings. So please if you know anyone or heard of any case in this situation (not in chicken run, not moved around by chicken vagon) please let me know. That snake has also many enemies here and can’t just swallow the grown chicken for an hour because something would kill him by then too (not like in the safety of the chicken run).

Back
Top Bottom