Rcom 10 filter caused temperature drop?

Aug 21, 2020
We’ve just hatched 7 chicks in our Rcom10. It’s been stressful!

I opened it last night to take a chick to the brooder and noticed it didn’t feel warm inside- usually you feel the heat on your hand straight away.

The filter that you place inside 3 days before the eggs are due to hatch was very clogged, a thick layer of fluff. Obviously that’s what it’s meant to do, to stop it from getting in to the fan/ mechanisms. I took that out, replaced the lid, and when I opened it again a few minutes later I could feel it blowing warm air again.

Has anyone else noticed this happening? I wondered if it’s worth having a spare filter and swapping them over so it doesn’t get so clogged, but timing could be difficult as obviously you don’t want to be opening the lid if you have eggs pipped/ zipping!

Unfortunately this meant I’ve had to move a chick to the brooder before she was ready- she was almost fully fluffed but sleepy and unsteady. Probably because she was cold 😡 She’s survived the night which I really didn’t expect but I won’t get my hopes up for her just yet. 😔

Hi Welcome to BYC :welcome I don’t have the RCom but looked at them extensively. With such good reviews I don’t think it’s possible that there is a design flaw but could be the filter just got a little too clogged maybe or it was placed incorrectly? Have you called the distributor? I open the top of my small Brinseas to remove chicks throughout hatching. My room temp is 80 andthe lid is easily opened and closed. The temp doesn’t drop past 97.5- 98 when I do this and no adverse effects are noted.If your brooder is set up at least to the incubator temp you should have no problems with the chicks, though it is best to let them dry and stand up on their own inside the incubator, ime.

Thanks for your reply. I’m sure it must have been the clogged up filter causing the low temperature. (The display showed 37.5 throughout, very slight drop when opening but always recovered quickly- of course the thermometer is at the top, above the filter, so doesn’t show the temperature at egg height. I will be adding my own thermometer next time!) I’ve emailed the company I ordered from so I’ll see what they say.

I only removed the last chick early as it was cold in the incubator, all the others were fully dry, fluffy and very active before going to the brooder. I panicked I think, the poor thing felt cold in comparison to all the others and I was worried the incubator had failed. Then once I’d realised the air filter was clogged up and potentially blocking the heat, she was already in the brooder. She seems to be doing well so far thank goodness.

Back
Top Bottom