Really pissed off at local vets

Emergency vet fees are insane! It's not like you plan them in the budget. It's not like you have the time or energy to deal with the stress of fees and finding an emergency doctor. It is just like adding salt to the wound. You already have a hurt animal, now worry about all this crap.

Been there with an emergency vet bill with a cat on Labor Day a few years back. I can tell you, it was nothing like the week you've had. I sure hope that is all the horrible junk for the rest of the year!

Oh, I'm so sorry about your horrible day!! I hope you are doing better now and that your goat is healing well. The way the veterinarian's office treated you is disgraceful. Veterinarians and Doctors just don't respect their patients anymore and soak you for all the money they can. That's why I'm learning all I can about human and animal health so I can avoid them
smile.png

Oh, there's a 24/7 emergency vet clinic in my area that charges you around $70 just to bring your pet in. It's insane!

That is so sad. I am sorry, hopefully your goat does well.
I have the opposite vet situation here. Our local vet, 22 miles away, is a large animal vet and really doesnt like to work on cats and dogs but he has to since he is the only local one. He also doesnt charge for emergencies like that, I think the emergency fee is 50 bucks. He is always there since his clinic is attached to his home. I never realized how lucky I am, in that respect. So sorry for all your troubles.
Kristyne

That's awful!! Sorry to hear about your troubles, everything does happen at once doesn't it?? At least that's what happens to me. IMO If they are in the field of animal medicine you'd think that would include all animals. I'm in lucky that my local vet will treat goats, even though he specializes in dogs and cats. There is a large animal vet also, but he's a bit arrogant and expensive (he charges $50 just for a house call, never mind the procedures) I try to avoid using him when possible.
Good luck with your goat, they are wonderful and funny pets
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I work in a small animal clinic and we don't see goats why they are totally different animals. It is impossible to know everything about every animal, even dogs and cats are different. They react differently to handling, medicines, dosages are different. Sorry but if someone calls with a farm animal we refer them to the large animal clinics. Do I want someone who treats cows and horse etc treating my dogs and cats no. One of our vets husband just does swine medicine and that is all.
As for the charges come on people do you really know what it costs to run a clinic to provide top notch care? The lab machines we have costs over 25,000 alone. Do you want a real tech or someone off the streets caring for your critters? Medicines costs the clinics to buy, the docs and techs have to have CE, the docs have to have DEA license to use controlled meds, we have kennels, supplies, computers, x ray machines, and most important our KNOWLEDGE which we didn't get for free. THere is a lot more to it. Yes we love animals and devote most of our lives to them, my poor critters usually come second to our clients animals, lets see I put in 11 hrs today with no break while my poor dogs didn't get to go out til I was done. But we still have our own bills to pay and would like to make a decent living and have a life. I don't expect someone who has computer knowledge to work on my pc for nothing or cheap because they like playing with computers.
Yes some vets over charge and don't practice ethically but most do their best.

Hi all I just wanted to let you all know how Ed was doing. He responded well to the antiboitics. He did lose some of his vision in the one eye which has made him rather timmed when I get too far away from him. And he comes running to me. But besides that he is doing really well. Thank you everyone that sent your best wishes his way
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom