Recently acquired 18m old hens and minimal eggs

Mommyjamie76

In the Brooder
Aug 31, 2022
Hi! I’m new here and to backyard chickens. We recently got our first 4 hens. I believe 2 are Easter eggers, 1 is Orpington and 1 barnyard mix that looks like a barred Plymouth. We also have a mama and her baby Cochins. We got everyone on Sunday and it’s Wednesday now. We have gotten 3 eggs so far total. Is this because of their move and a new coop? Or the heat? I’m just trying to figure out if this is normal. Thanks!!

Hi! I’m new here and to backyard chickens. We recently got our first 4 hens. I believe 2 are Easter eggers, 1 is Orpington and 1 barnyard mix that looks like a barred Plymouth. We also have a mama and her baby Cochins. We got everyone on Sunday and it’s Wednesday now. We have gotten 3 eggs so far total. Is this because of their move and a new coop? Or the heat? I’m just trying to figure out if this is normal. Thanks!!
It could be either. What are you feeding them? Mine took a while to adjust to their new home and didn’t lay at all for a week. Is your place hotter than where you got them from?

Welcome to BYC.

Where, in general, are you? Climate matters.

It also matters that in the northern hemisphere we're going into fall and that means that chicks hatched in the spring of 2021 -- the 18-month-ish ladies -- are heading for their first molt.

Not only does stress reduce egglaying, but it's very likely that stress could trigger a molt -- which will either reduce laying or shut it off completely. Some hens will start laying again as soon as they're done growing new feathers. Others won't lay again until spring.

We are giving them all layer feed crumbles and mixed in some starter feed for the younger one. (That’s what she was being fed at her other home- a mix of both). We also threw in some oyster shell. Being that they were originally about 10 minutes from us , I don’t think it’s any hotter at our house than where they were. But it has been hot here in south east PA.

Welcome to BYC.

Where, in general, are you? Climate matters.

It also matters that in the northern hemisphere we're going into fall and that means that chicks hatched in the spring of 2021 -- the 18-month-ish ladies -- are heading for their first molt.

Not only does stress reduce egglaying, but it's very likely that stress could trigger a molt -- which will either reduce laying or shut it off completely. Some hens will start laying again as soon as they're done growing new feathers. Others won't lay again until spring.
Thank you! Does anything special need to be done during their molting period? We are in south east PA.

Yes, that is normal for hens to almost stop laying after a move, and being introduced to a new coop. Once their acclimated to their new home you should start getting more eggs.

Thank you! Does anything special need to be done during their molting period? We are in south east PA.

You might want to change their feed to an 18-20% all-flock type feed. Birds who aren't laying don't need the calcium in the layer feed and molting birds need plenty of protein to grow their new feathers.

Many of us here on BYC advocate all-flock with oystershell on the side for *most* backyard flocks under *most* circumstances (one size never fits all).

Back
Top Bottom