Recessive slate and recessive Lilac turkeys... the journey!

Noellereagan

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jun 20, 2018
Big Bend, Wisconsin
This thread was inspired by/ the brilliant idea of @memphis - so thanks for the great idea!

I’m very excited for spring 2019. Why? Because I begin a journey as a breeder of two exotic varieties of turkeys that have been brought back to the population by Kevin Porter from porters rare turkeys and someone else he’s affiliated with *i believe* (the second individual involved in restoring these birds to the US is escaping my memory at the moment but I will look into it).

The varieties are recessive slate and recessive lilac. Their genetics are absolutely fascinating- to which I am learning and just have started to dip my toes in the pool of vast information out there.

As I understand, they were extinct in the 1940s (but more factual data to come). Kevin has a lot of research and data out there on both of them. I will link to this information eventually, but I wanted to create this thread to build anticipation about these birds/ for my spring arrivals!

Of note is this: all future buyers- be it from me or otherwise- MUST be approved by Kevin. There is a mandatory, nonnegotiable contract in place between porter’s rare turkeys and any prospective buyers in order to protect the genetics of these magnificent creatures. There is good reason behind this. There is a great deal of time, money and effort in legally importing these birds to the USA and bringing back the two varieties. Cross breeding will not be permitted or tolerated and rightfully so. So, first and foremost, if you’re interested in joining this journey of breeding the recessive gene birds, first of all- congrats! Second, Kevin is your point person to start the process, regardless of where you get the bird from- be it me in the future or one of the other few, select breeders in the US that are already breeding the birds, like @fowlmouthhatchery - in other words, you won’t be able to purchase one of these birds without going through the proper Chanel’s/ screening and approval and contractual process with Kevin. I for one- am not only okay with that- I’m very comforted by the fact that that this is the way it is because, I for one, wouldn’t want to be the one who unknowingly drops the ball (or the bird) into the lap of someone looking to cross breed it and make a mess of the hard work and investment of porters.

Here at Native Colors Exotics, in Wisconsin, we have invested a ton of time and money into the coop and run requirements to ensure that both varieties will be kept safe and separate and have adequate room and safeguarded against any accidental cross breeding. I figure it’s the least we can do since we are entrusted to help get the numbers of these birds back up! I feel honored. I’d love to hear from the current breeders!

(and speaking of fowl mouth hatchery, since you’re already mid journey, we’d love to hear from you. I hear wonderful things about you!)

Lots more info to come on recessive slate and recessive lilac turkeys from porter’s rare turkeys/ by porters. And this will be the thread to share any stories, pictures or photos of yours- should you be on the same journey or thinking of it.

For anyone with questions about the birds, please feel free to post on the thread and either myself or one of the current breeders can either help to answer your question or point you in the right direction. For those of you who don’t know how to reach Kevin Porter- should you be interested in learning more about possibly becoming a breeder, you can find them online at https://www.porterturkeys.com/

Last edited:
I'm in! Hoping some more of the breeders join in so I can live vicariously through you all!!

Back
Top Bottom